1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Passive Learners

Discussion in 'Primary' started by becpack, Feb 24, 2012.

1. becpack

becpack New commenter

Help!
    I currently have a year 3 class, who are incredibly bright. Unfortunately, about 10 of them are very laid back to their approach to school. I get questions like 'I've got to the end of the page, what shall I do?' I've also had children sit and wait for 10 minutes, for me to finish talking to another child, for them to ask me if they need to write the short date or the long date in their books.
    They really lack any kind of proactiveness, and wait for someone to tell them what to do all of the time. My TA was working in a child's seat and the child stood there for a few minutes waiting for someone to tell him to sit in the empty seat on the next table. I have tried a relaxed, 'just do this' appraoch, I've tried sarcasm, I really am struggling now.
    Does anyone know of any kind of scheme or resource that I could use to help develop children's thinking skills and attitude to learning. I'm not really sure what to look for. Does this come under learning styles, thinking skills????
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    Bec

2. I always found that getting children really animated through discussion helped with motivation and when they were regularly engaged in debate and discussion they were more enthusiastic in their attitude for much of the day. Perhaps starting your day with a good discussion would get them more enthusiastic and involved. It could be worth a try.
    Maybe try Dizzy Dilemmas and Tricky Topics as your discussion points on the Go-Givers website.
    www.gogivers.org
    Have you tried discussing this with the children themselves and asking what they think about their learning skills?

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Not sure if I'm going to be any use to you but I find this thread quite funny as it sounds like you have my child in your class, multiple times. I'm not sure it's just to do with "learning skills" in her case, it's more a case of over-compliance, doing exactly what she's told and nothing but that, etc.
    I don't know what she is like at school, but at home she might ask something like "can I get the colouring pencils out etc etc". At one point she would have stayed in bed all day unless I went to get her as she was told when she was little not to get out of bed!!
    On the plus side it does sound as though they are being very logical and rule-abiding - if they have been told that they must sit in their allocated places, then not sitting down in an empty spot when their own chair is occupied is, in their eyes, "the correct thing to do".
    Is it the way that they are being given rules and instructions, rather than something wrong with their attitude? They are at a very "black and white" age. It's maybe hard for them to make some of the judgements you wish them to make without feeling they are at risk of getting into trouble.