1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Passing NQT year - Terms

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by TomGerrard, Dec 14, 2017.

1. TomGerrard

TomGerrard New commenter

Hi everyone, I'll apologise in advance as I know this post will probably have been posted many times.

I'm a struggling NQT, I've not made satisfactory progress in my first term and only have next term at my current school.

Is it true you have to satisfactory make progress in 2 terms or can you just pass your last term and pass your NQT year?

Also if anyone can offer me advice on how to approach this. I've got my next term at my current school, but with one term where I've deemed not to have made progress I know if I don't make progress next term then everything hinges on my final term.

I'm caught between trying to turn things round but risk losing another term. And negotiating an early resignation before my second term officially counts.

Please can anyone shed some light to a tired, hopeless, confused NQT?

Thank you

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yes it is correct that the final assessment is the one that counts- technically you do not pass term but are judged as being on track and making satisfactory progress to pass your induction at the end of 3 terms.

If your assessment this term is that you are not making satisfactory progress then there needs to be a clear plan of support to ensure that targets are being met by the end of the final term.

If you do consider resignation before the end of term please discuss this with your union or seek legal advice to help you particularly with references, If you leave before a full term is completed then there cannot be an assessment as one term is the minimum period required for this.
    By leaving you would preserve 2 whole terms of induction with a first assessment showing meeting standards.

Ultimately you need to judge whether you are going to get the support and help to meet standards by the third term in your current school or to look for other options.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If that's your real name then change it by contacting TES admin.

What support has your school put in place? How are they treating you? How many issues have they identified that are considered 'not satisfactory'? Are the issues major or minor?

If you feel hopeful then see how it goes in January. If you don't feel hopeful then negotiate early release from your contract, for Feb half term, or Easter.

Plenty of people have these issues - I did - but it did not prevent me from finding a school where I could complete the NQT year.

Try and relax over Christmas. It's not a good idea to make big decisions when you're exhausted at the end of the first term.