1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Passing it on...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by SMT dude, Jan 22, 2012.

1. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

We've done this. But only with the candidate's consent, and to an entirely trustworthy school.

2. Many years ago I applied for a job in HK. The school contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in their fairly new school in Shanghai. At this time Shanghai was still a bit of a hardship posting. Seeing they'd never advertised any positions there it seemed like a classic 'bait and switch'. Nonetheless I went with the flow, took the job and spent 6 years in Shanghai.

3. dash201

dash201 New commenter

I have had this done without my consent. Where is this?

4. Ethically, it is clearly bad form; however, there are thousands out there looking for jobs who wouldn't mind an interview offer out of the blue, even based on a passed on CV, I'm sure.
    In that situation, I think, my first thought would be to research the school and maybe later, find out how they found out. If it was a good posting, maybe not...

5. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

That's exactly how I see it, Foneypharoah. There could be a very valid reason - maybe i'm more suited to that school based on my CV or maybe they don't need anyone with my particular strengths at the moment but want to keep me on the family, so to speak. It would just still be nice to know, cos that insecure part of me always thinks that they feel I'm not good enough for them but maybe good enough for someone else who hasn't had as many applicants. Just makes the whole situation feel a bit strange.

6. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I could do that. However, I'm now in my 9th year of teaching abroad and feel like I've already put in my time and want to go straight into the good schools now. And I'm not saying the school I've got an interview with isn't a good school - it may well be. Plus it's a rapidly growing school, which may prove interesting in itself. Just the whole process has left me feeling a bit wary.