1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Passed over for 2iC. Suspect SLT bias

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by headflower, Jul 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. headflower

headflower New commenter

This is terribly outing, as I suspect people from my school will recognise me. But it's eating me up and I need to get people's opinions and advice.
    My HOD is stepping down to be a classroom teacher as she wants a less stressful life. She joined our school when we both applied for 2iC two years ago. She'd previously been 2iC & a HOD, so although I was disappointed to miss out, I understood why. Head told me I interviewed really well & that if somebody of equal or lesser experience had applied, the job would have been mine. Soon after, the HOD was promoted to SLT & my 2iC colleague was promoted - reluctantly - to HOD. We both think that was the plan all along.
    Whilst she was HOD, I supported her to the hilt. In her words, I carried out the role of 2iC for her. She recently stepped down.
    School recently appointed a new HOD, external candidate, starting in September. Also a new classroom teacher to replace a leaver.
    On Monday the post of 2iC was advertised & current HOD said, 'Go for it. The job should be yours'. Interview went well & I outlined all the additional responsibilities I'd taken on over the last two years. I attend conferences, read educational books & am a whizz at technology. New classroom teacher also interviewed & got the job.
    We are the same age, I have been teaching 12 years & this is my second school. She has been teaching just shy of 3 years & this will be her third school. She has a PhD, but not in Education.
    As a previous union rep I have clashed with the Exec Head. I am also outspoken.
    I believe that SLT have taken the opportunity to put the boot in. I feel humiliated & that they are probably all having a laugh at my expense. They asked me to mentor the new woman; current HOD has said that is not appropriate & told them to find someone else. She also said he was absolutely fuming that I did not get the job.
    I love the kids at our school and most of the staff.
    I am devastated.

2. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 Occasional commenter

I’m so sorry. I think I’d consider taking your talent elsewhere as this will eat you up.

3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Arrange to speak to your HT and tell them that you will be applying for roles elsewhere- join a school where you are valued, you clearly aren’t there!

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You are probably right to feel aggrieved.
    There is at the moment nothing you can do to change the situation. I doubt that SLT are all laughing at you, it is likely that they made what they thought the best appointment.
    You need to spend some time thinking about what you want for you. The pain of being passed over will probably pass. Do you want to keep working in this school, or is it time to move on to somewhere that might be more appreciative of what you can offer? Only you can answer that.
    This is probably not the summer for exciting trips and exotic holidays, but be nice to yourself, polish your CV and remind yourself what you have to offer. I've got a feeling that there may be a fair few opportunities in the autumn. I'm a bit too old for new opportunities, so the field is open to you (and perhaps one or two others).
    Good luck.

5. Romoletto

Romoletto Occasional commenter

I’d echo the sentiments expressed so far about moving on, but would just add that in your position I would only be applying for the sort of job opportunity I felt I was being denied.

Unless the feeling of having been hard done by became overwhelmingly toxic to my mental or emotional health, I would just do the job I am paid to do until I can secure the role I was denied at my current school, elsewhere.

Moving on to a similar role elsewhere would just leave me exposed to further career stagnation as there’s no guarantee that they would promote me either. In such cases it would be better the devil you know, as long as there are no other issues going on.

6. headflower

headflower New commenter

Thank you. The Head - who I'd always thought I had a good relationship with - is leaving. New Head in September.

7. headflower

headflower New commenter

Thank you. I would only move on for a 2iC post; better the devil you know, and I do have many lovely colleagues where I am.

TheoGriff likes this.
  8. headflower

headflower New commenter

Thank you.

9. headflower

headflower New commenter

That is my fear. I feel brokenhearted at the moment.

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  10. headflower

headflower New commenter

Thank you.

11. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

If this school works properly, it should be the head of departments call on this position.

i wonder whether the head of department has opted for a fellow newbie for the reason of being ‘their own (wo)man’ I also wonder whether having taught for 12 years, and being a long term member of staff and outspoken ( in your own words) the new HoD has thought ‘is this person a little hot’

also if the new HoD has been involved in appointing the new teacher already (as is often the case in these scenarios) they’ve got a relationship already....

I think it’s just wrong time for you, and wrong scenario. I think you should think about moving on though in the long term if you feel stunted. But try not to be hard on the new appointees... it’s a hard scenario- I’ve been the HoD who has been there

also as a science teacher...(looking at past posts) is it a speciality thing? I know a lot of sci departments would rather a second who can lead on another speciality.

12. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

I'd ask for this thread to be deleted in case someone at your school recognises it, and makes life (more) difficult for you. And look for another post.

13. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Something similar has happened to me earlier this academic year. I too felt stunned at first, then upset for weeks, followed by fury! As time has passed, I have felt more at peace. I have analysed it to death but it is out of my control. I am going to stay for 2020-21 but see how things go, then make a decision. I am not yet sure whether it is going to be the best thing that ever happened to me (better work/life balance maybe as a positive?) or a difficult year. I'll wait and see. My advice is give it a little more time.

14. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

It's difficult - there could be any number of reasons why they went for this other person over you, as others have suggested above. I can appreciate how hurt / offended you must be feeling at the moment, however, having been there myself on both fronts during my career - both as the person who's been passed over for "new blood", as well as the "new" person who got the post over a well-liked internal candidate. It is difficult not to take such rejections personally.

Personally, going forward, I'd be considering looking elsewhere for opportunities, but only you will know whether this is the right move for you now. However, I remember when I was passed over for a new external candidate, I did end up staying on at the school for a few more years and I actually established a pretty good working relationship with this new colleague, and I learned from them, which then helped in terms of applying for posts elsewhere when the time came.

15. seasoned

seasoned Occasional commenter

I had a similar experience many years ago and it isn't nice at all. The next term I applied for a promoted post in a nearby school and was successful - I ended up staying in the school for 8 years and I had further promotion. Life's too short to stay somewhere where your face doesn't fit or you're not appreciated. All the best - there's loads of opportunities out there...!!

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you must be feeling devastated. I feel so sorry for you. I only hope that you have something pleasant to look forward to over the summer.

I would echo what others have said, starting with asking, via help@tes.co.uk, for this thread to be deleted. You've got it off your chest now, time to cancel this public expression.

And time to lick your wounds, heal them, and be determined to show everyone next term that you are the consummate professional and can contribute fully to the department.

Indeed, offer to do more.

If the newly-appointed colleague is a different Sci subject, how about volunteering to coordinate the GCSE in your subject, or all the Y7 work, based on what they have missed in Y6? That latter would be a great initiative! How about setting up a Science-based club, organising students for the Physics Olympiad or something in your Science, really going the extra mile?

This will show your colleagues that you are not in any way resentful, and, more importantly, be an added feather in your cap for the next application.

Because one of the worst bases for applying elsewhere would be if you were suspected of bearing a grudge against your current school. However justified a grudge might seem!

A school welcomes applications from those who are keen to work there, not candidates who are desperate to get away from their current school.

They want pilgrims, not refugees!

So be prepared to show that you are contributing the extra mile to provide a springboard for getting out.

But first of all, contact Help@tes.co.uk

Best wishes

Twitter @Theo_Griff

17. headflower

headflower New commenter

HOD may well prefer somebody new who they can mould, but I feel that SLT should have flagged up the role I've performed over the last 2 years, supporting the woman who beat me to the job last time. I was happy with that decision, as she had more experience than me. The New HOD definitely didn't know the person they've appointed, so not shoe-horning in a friend. Thank you for replying.

18. headflower

headflower New commenter

I get what you're saying, but they'd have a hard job proving it was me. And I'm so angry I'll go full union / legal if they make life more difficult for me. Thank you for replying.

tall tales likes this.
  19. headflower

headflower New commenter

We have a new Head starting and I hope that fresh eyes will mean that people who deserve appreciation will get it & the 'coasters' will get a kick up the bum. Thank you.

jlishman2158 and SCAW12 like this.
  20. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

I also missed out on promotion but I thought it was a measly payrise for a huge role. I have decided to continue working hard but not above and beyond. I was told the reason I didn't get it was I might burn myself out. In reality I think it was they knew I would still work hard whereas the other internal candidate would not go the extra mile. I've also been given a hard class for next year but am taking it on the chin.