1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Passed NQT - what's next?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by boobette, Aug 23, 2019.

1. boobette

boobette New commenter

Hi there,
    I've been in post for 18 months now. I passed my NQT year but havent had anything in writing to confirm this. I've emailed and spoken to my mentor who is understandably busy and also not had anything. The provider of my induction failed to notify me of any CPD so I've basically passed under my own merit. I feel very disappointed that my school paid for an induction I never benefitted from and have heard nothing from anyone.
    Am I right in thinking that I should have received something formal in writing to acknowledge passing my NQT year?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I think that the next thing you should do is to get a teaching job overseas.

sabram86 likes this.
  3. boobette

boobette New commenter

I'm hoping that spam and not an honest answer? Im a live in carer for my parents, moving abroad is not an answer to my query.

4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Formal letter copied into the headteacher.

5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Yes, you should have received a letter from the appropriate body. Have you logged onto your NCTL teacher services page and checked that your induction says 'pass'? Future employers can log onto the site to check your QTS and induction status but most will want you to provide your induction certificate aswell.

1 person likes this.
  6. boobette

boobette New commenter

Hi there,
    I've just tried to log in to the NCTL and it says that there is an error accessing my account. I'll try giving then a call on Monday.

celago22 likes this.
  7. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Maybe I'm wrong, but reading your post it sounds like you think you've passed simply because you've completed one year of teaching.

To pass induction you need a paper trail of reports from your school, showing that you are 'on track' for terms 1 and 2, and have passed term 3. You would be involved in this process, because you need to have meetings with your mentor and the school's NQT person, and you need to be observed in lessons and receive feedback and targets. When it comes to the final term your mentor or the NQT person at school needs to complete a final report, you need to view it, and then you have the opportunity to make a written response to it (e.g. agreeing with it, addressing anything you think is incorrect, or just detailing some of the things you've been doing in order to meet the standards by way of providing further evidence). After my final report was submitted I think I got a letter or email rather quickly confirming my NQT pass. If this hasn't happened then it sounds like your school did not start the NQT induction.

What do you mean that your school paid for an induction for you? Are you working at an independent school, where it would be outsourced?

8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

surely the paperwork saying you have passed can't be submitted without your signature anyway, and you get a copy at that point?

9. boobette

boobette New commenter

I've done the full induction/NQT year and submitted a folio of evidence which has all been checked off by my mentor and had the observations. I was initially enquiring to find out if I should've had something formal in writing.

10. Corvuscorax

well, if you haven't personally signed off the paperwork yourself, then the NQT has not been completed, as I understand it. I mentor NQTs in my school. When I finish my report, the NQT gets it, signs it and returns a copy to the head. When the head signs it it is done, but the NQT already has their signed copy by then. It doesn't sound to me like yours is done, if you don't have the copy you signed. Unless your system is completely different somewhow. It wouldn't be possible under our system for an NQT NOT to have the paperwork on completion, as they sign it and return a copy

11. Corvuscorax

but that does not constitute a completed NQT year. What about your reports, targets, etc Don't you submit your portfolio 3 times?

you may have a completely different system.

12. boobette

boobette New commenter

I signed everything and do have copies. Should I still get something in writing from the provider. It was outsourced as I was the only NQT in the school.

13. Corvuscorax

Then double check that you are registered as having completed your NQT year, you are probably right, you will probably have to ring on Tuesday to get in to the page, but it sounds like you have all the paperwork you are supposed to have

14. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Yes, you should. Via letter or email.

15. celago22

Are you sure your school registered with you with the appropriate body?

16. boobette

boobette New commenter

I contacted the NCTL teacher services team today who confirmed my NQT pass and were able to get me logged in.
    Thank you Celago22 for the useful information. Very grateful.

17. celago22

Yay! Well done. Make sure you print a copy of your induction certificate off and also keep a copy on your computer. Hope everything goes well!

18. boobette

boobette New commenter

I'm really happy. I really enjoy where I teach and although it's not in the subject I completed my PGCE in it's in a subject I feel passionate about. This is my first teaching post since I passed my PGCE 13 years ago.
    In regards to pay, would I get an increment in January which will be 2 years since I started and would it be M1 or M2? Very confusing!

19. celago22

I thought M1 was basically your first year of teaching so maybe you'll get M2.

20. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Bobette, sorry to learn that your parents need a lot of TLC. I was not trying to be unkind or unhelpful. Over the years, hundreds of people have written to me, asking about how to go about getting a job in an international school. Having taught in the UK and overseas, I would say that the latter is a lot more fun.