1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Passed my skills tests and YOU can do it too!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by life2teach, Feb 26, 2011.

1. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Hi guys,
    Just wanted to say I am elated that I passed all my skills test finally. [​IMG] I had passed ICT and English quite quickly and had struggled with Maths. It was third time lucky. It is such a weight off my mind and I urge everyone to get them out the way ASAP. Saying that I know it can be easier said than done so below I've added a few (unofficial) tips to help all of you. They may not work but it (eventually) worked for me.
    English
    • Practice reading un-punctuated text and add in the correct punctuation.
    • Pracice "common" spellings such as receive, colleague.
    • When you're doing the test, go with your first instinct and try not to over think things. Sometimes you can look at a word so much that it doesn't make sense anymore.
    ICT
    • I passed this test and I did not complete it all. There are 4 parts (Excel, PowerPoint, Email and Internet) and I only got part way through part 3.
    • You have to work quite quickly on this test I found and I am quite good with ICT.
    • The tasks are all the same so familarise yourself with them e.g. adding slides, attaching, changing font etc.
    • ONLY PRACTICE ON THE TDA PRACTICE TEST AS THE LAYOUT IS DIFFERENT!
    Maths [​IMG]
    This brings a tear to my eye but thumbs up to me for passing.
    • You don't need to get all questions correct to pass so if you don't know an answer, move on and go back later.
    • I did not use the tda practice test as I found it more difficult. I studied from a book (Pass your numeracy skills test) and then applied the knowledge.
    • Heard the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none"? I would say focus on learning key knowedge. My main key topics were graphs and data. I definitely would advise learning this because when they come up they tend to carry several marks.
    • Also learn how to find/convert percentages and fractions becasue there are always questions these questions.
    • Finally learn how to use the calculator. It sounds simple but sometimes you can get a loooong question that requires you to do more than one calculation. Know what order to do things in.
    Hope this helps.
    Any questions?

2. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Hi guys,
    Just wanted to say I am elated that I passed all my skills test finally. [​IMG] I had passed ICT and English quite quickly and had struggled with Maths. It was third time lucky. It is such a weight off my mind and I urge everyone to get them out the way ASAP. Saying that I know it can be easier said than done so below I've added a few (unofficial) tips to help all of you. They may not work but it (eventually) worked for me.
    English
    • Practice reading un-punctuated text and add in the correct punctuation.
    • Pracice "common" spellings such as receive, colleague.
    • When you're doing the test, go with your first instinct and try not to over think things. Sometimes you can look at a word so much that it doesn't make sense anymore.
    ICT
    • I passed this test and I did not complete it all. There are 4 parts (Excel, PowerPoint, Email and Internet) and I only got part way through part 3.
    • You have to work quite quickly on this test I found and I am quite good with ICT.
    • The tasks are all the same so familarise yourself with them e.g. adding slides, attaching, changing font etc.
    • ONLY PRACTICE ON THE TDA PRACTICE TEST AS THE LAYOUT IS DIFFERENT!
    Maths [​IMG]
    This brings a tear to my eye but thumbs up to me for passing.
    • You don't need to get all questions correct to pass so if you don't know an answer, move on and go back later.
    • I did not use the tda practice test as I found it more difficult. I studied from a book (Pass your numeracy skills test) and then applied the knowledge.
    • Heard the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none"? I would say focus on learning key knowedge. My main key topics were graphs and data. I definitely would advise learning this because when they come up they tend to carry several marks.
    • Also learn how to find/convert percentages and fractions becasue there are always questions these questions.
    • Finally learn how to use the calculator. It sounds simple but sometimes you can get a loooong question that requires you to do more than one calculation. Know what order to do things in.
    Hope this helps.
    Any questions?

3. Hi
    I have recently passed all the skills tests too, and just wanted to say that your 'un official' hints and tips are spot on!!

[​IMG]

4. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I agree! Really useful stuff!
    I found the ICT one difficult as it was a totally different layout than what I'm used to, and I spent a lot of time on computers in my previous role, so thought I'd breeze it. The maths one had me in a blind panic through all of the practice ones, but I managed to pass it first time (still not quite sure how,,,,,)
    We need to celebrate these sorts of achievements!
    [​IMG]

5. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

Thanks guys [​IMG]
    I agree that these sorts of achievements need to be celebrated especially if you've struggled.
    Congratulations to everyone else that has passed and if you haven't - just keep trying and stay positive. Be realistic about how much you do study and how much you need to.
    Good luck

6. sweetie666

sweetie666 New commenter

I have passed my ICT and literacy and like many struggled with the maths. I did my sixth one today and failed by 2 marks! each time its 1 or 2 marks I fail by and losing the will with it now and dont want to revise any more.
    Any tips for revision or ways in which people helped them would be great? Beginning to think I cant be a teacher now, as I cant even complete a maths test which year 6 children could do. I know this because my tutor at uni tutor advised me to use the numeracy strategy handbook or year 5 and 6! [​IMG]

7. It concerns me that so many struggle with these tests. They are not a massive hurdle that you need to get over, they should just be seen as checking your knowledge is at the very least satisfactory.
    If you are having to go away and revise intesively then maybe you should reconsider. As a previous poster mentioned, the children you are hoping to teach should pass these tests. Your knowledge should go beyond this.

From

8. NNS

NNS New commenter

Well yes, but I bet they would get more than 18 seconds to answer a maths question.
    I somehow managed to pass them all at one go.
    The maths was surprisingly not the most difficult one, but in the fist part I skipped two questions in a row because I got so nervous and stressed out that I could not calculate the answers fast enough. And then I got more stressed about this. At one point I thought that I was doomed, but I managed to pass nevertheless, I think I must have made up with the marks from the second part.
    The IT was tricky, since I failed all the online tests, and I consider myself quite good in dealing with this type of tasks.I still dont know what I was doing wrong on the practice test... [​IMG]
    The problem with the English for me was the 'reading comprehension' part, just because the text was really uninteresting, and having to reread it mutliple times was really difficult for me. Not that the text itself was difficult, but I just felt out-of-my-mind bored going through it... So I was very relieved to see a pass!