1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pass the exam or lose your job???

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by b00merang, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Am puzzling over this slightly, this is apparently what my sister in law has been told....she has to do a 4 day course with an exam at the end and to keep her job she must pass the exam.........

Can anyone shed any light on this....has anyone else been told the same....what course is it? What exam?

Curious more than anything.......mother in law has told us this...on the quiet!!

2. Am puzzling over this slightly, this is apparently what my sister in law has been told....she has to do a 4 day course with an exam at the end and to keep her job she must pass the exam.........

Can anyone shed any light on this....has anyone else been told the same....what course is it? What exam?

Curious more than anything.......mother in law has told us this...on the quiet!!

3. Is she a TA?

4. Yes she is, sorry forgot to say that..x

5. It sounds a little like HLTA which is a three day course and a visit from an Assessor on the fourth day who looks at your portfolio and makes a final assessment of whether you have reached the necessary standards. There is no examination but rather a final assessment that gives you a pass or fail.
    Funding stopped for this course so maybe the pressure to pass is to do with whoever is providing the funding.
    Can't think what else it could be but maybe other posters could enlighten you.[​IMG]

6. Neither, it is a council run school.........................the course is Sounds Right which is a phonics based course and indeed does have an exam at the end of it...........I guess it would be their schools way of cutting back staff......