1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pass mark for skills test

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by suziefno1, Dec 26, 2015.

1. suziefno1

suziefno1 New commenter

Hi

I am currently revising for both my literacy and numeracy skills tests and unsure what the pass mark is?
    I have completed my first online practice and unsure if I have passed based on the percentage given!

I can't find anywhere that gives a pass mark needed. Can anyone shed any light on what I need to be aiming for in practice tests to be confident I will pass?

Thanks in advance.

2. Topsyt

Topsyt New commenter

Hi
    The pass mark varies slightly depending on the questions, but the advice I was given is that 64% and above is a pass.

Good luck when you take them.

3. suziefno1

suziefno1 New commenter

Thank you. Just helpful to know what to aim for.

4. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

63% is a pass.

5. teachingspurs

teachingspurs New commenter

That is still only 3-5 incorrect answers. You do not get many!

6. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

For those wondering, the reason the skills test pass mark (63%) is such an unusual number is because it was a round 60%, but the Government wanted to raise the bar for entry to teaching. This resulted in a raising of the pass rate by one whole mark, which equals three percentage points.

7. Grefintec

Grefintec New commenter

According to the Dept for Education website the pass mark varies between tests "A test with slightly harder questions will have a slightly lower pass mark and a test with slightly easier questions will have a slightly higher pass mark" (http://sta.education.gov.uk/professional-skills-tests/numeracy-skills-tests)

I have recently successfully passed my QTS tests and have posted a couple of videos with tips to help others. I hope that they help. My channel can be accessed here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKX7qo_Z4s-j3Bo4NXWoTQ

8. Topsyt

Topsyt New commenter

Hi All,
    Having passed the skills tests last week does anyone know if I can get the actual % pass mark? Or do I have to be happy just knowing it was a pass?

9. teachingspurs

teachingspurs New commenter

Nope. You only get pass or fail.

10. u004665

u004665 New commenter

I have just sat mine and the man running the test said you get a percentage if you fail so you can see how far off you were