1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pass DBS with a CCJ?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by thepolyglot, Aug 28, 2015.

1. thepolyglot

thepolyglot New commenter

Hi there,

I'm a mature student nearing the end of a degree and hoping to go into teaching. I have some debt from 5+ years ago and also a CCJ. I'm in the process of trying to clear this up and settle.

I've never had a DBS check before. Would a CCJ stop me from passing the DBS and becoming a teacher?

Thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Any school will wish to ensure that its teachers are not going to pose a threat to the pupils, other staff, or to the school overall.

This is the point of the DBS checks.

I doubt that a CCJ for debt would come under this category. Your ttraining provider will ask for details of any cautions, convictions, etc. You may wish to discuss the CCJ with them.

I personally would not see this as a reason to ignore your application.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. thepolyglot

thepolyglot New commenter

Wonderful. Thanks for your advice.

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

DBS relates only to the disclosure of criminal offences. A CCJ relates to a civil matter, in your case a debt. It will not show up on the DBS.

I hope you are getting appropriate support to manage the debt? The wonderful organisation StepChange or your local Citizens Advice can support you through this at no charge.