1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Party Bags

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gergil4, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

I am with Tartetatin. I do give a bag, but generaly put less of a better quality in.
    I have some times tied them in with the party theme. One year we made our own chocolate, by melting our own chocolate and buying chocolate moulds. We made them as soon as they arrived, and put them in the fridge, and they were ready to take home.
    Another year, I did my own bracelet making party, and they had the bracelet to take home.
    Artbox do really reasonable pencils, stickers, notebooks etc. The little japanese rubbers popular at the moment are great - iwakoerasers.co.uk
    For my brownies, I have bought cone shaped cello bags, and filled them with good sweets, which you can buy reasonably online, and tied them with a pretty ribbon.
    Oh, and one year we decorated cookies, and sent them home in a pretty cello bag.

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

You have party rings left at the end of a party?
    I struggle to have any left by the start of the party!
    So happy that my kids are too old for party bags now (24, 21, 19 and 15). In my day we all made homemade cakes. I had a book with ideas for things like swimming pools and teddy bears. I used to lend it to all my friends and we had great fun laughing at each other's attempts to create a replica of the picture in the book. Party bags had cake, pencil and balloon.

3. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

What a lovely resource, Ecolady. If my two were still small I'd definitely be making some of those for their party bags - a really nice idea!
    I second the point made earlier than parties do not have to cost the earth. I know it would probably cost more these days, but we used to hire the swimming pool for under £60 (and even then it seemed like a really good deal): you got the whole 25m pool plus smaller training pool for an hour on a Friday evening, complete with a giant inflatable "treasure island" which the kids loved. As you could have up to 30 children, there was never an issue about who to invite. We'd make lots of sandwiches, sausage rolls, mini-sausages (Iceland's finest) which the kids would wolf down after their hour of fun. The party bags comprised some penny sweets and a bit of cake - everyone went home happy.

5. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

My eldest went snowtibing this year at the cost of £60 for up to 12 people for an hour, which I think is really reasonable.
    They had pizzas and some party food when we got home, and it really didn't cost that much.
    My sister is always hiring people to do crafts etc for parties, but you really can do these things much cheaper yourself, and your children and their friends think you are brilliant too ;)
    I have had all kinds of parties, for half the cost of those who offer a service.
    You can make your own really cheap party food inexpensively too, which looks great on the table.
    It doesn't have to be expensive.

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I used to love looking around Artbox for stocking fillers when my 18 year old was younger and going through her Artbox phase.
    I love these ideas!

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Thank you everyone. Yes, I too hate the 'keeping up with' idea, and so far parties have been different in our household, but they've both been allowed one 'class' party in KS1.
    Anyway, final decision is a book in their bag with their winnings (sweets) added as they go. Cake will be added at some stage, I may even cheat and just ice a box for the actual party and have the cake precut, or cut up a different cake ....!!!!!!
    Have a good weekend.

8. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

.... and a bookmark, thanks EcoLady!! :))

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I'm a fairly new mother... but when the time comes I will be dishing out a piece of cake, and perhaps buy some £1 book tokens from WHsmiths with cards to give to guest children. Such a teacher.

10. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I should also add that no baking or icing will be undertaken by this domestically challenged bird - Cake shall be squired from Sainsbury without shame or hesitation.

11. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I love to make my children's brthday cakes - it's an act of love for me! They always look at bit wonky, but they taste great.
    I generally do their parties at home - last year I did a cinema party for no.1 - we made them tickets they ahd to hunt for, a pick'n'mix in the kitchen and we watched the majority of the Love Bug. Mind you, after tea, I was informed by disgruntled guest that 'it's not a party without any games', so I had to quickly rustle up some for them! This year (Y6), I didn't even bother doing a party without any games. I've been told!
    They always eat the majority of the party bag contents before they leave the house. Bless 'em, I love doing parties. They are so young, and they have such a good time! I felt quite choked at no.1's last party. Last one with his primary school friends (some of whom have gone to every party). New school, away from them all - we all felt a bit sad over the jelly and ice cream! Maybe I'll be throwing an end of primary party...put paid to all the stretch limo nonsense! (that's a whole 'nother thread too! I could get quite ranty on that one...)

12. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Funnily enough, not something I lose sleep over [​IMG]
    I've thought of another idea. For my daughter's birthday last year, as part of one of her gifts from a friend, she received a pouch made of pretty card inside which were the individual letters of her name made of same card. She stuck them on her bedroom door and they look fab.
    No doubt bought from some posh gift shop but a simple (if time consuming!) idea to replicate.

13. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

That made me laugh dozymare, I think I had the same book! I remember making a Tardis, a doll with a crinoline dress and a Christmas tree. The Christmas tree was made in different size tins, baked beans, tuna etc. then stacking the cakes and covering in green icing. It was made for my daughter's 10th birthday (she is 33 now!) and I can remember asking her if we should put the picture of the cake next to the one I'd made so her friends could see what it should have looked like!

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

[​IMG]

15. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

[​IMG] Is it that you find my choice of party bag items particularly carp or is it the very obvious gender division you find shocking?!

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Yes, the gender thing made my eyebrows go right up over the back of my head. Cars for all, that's what I say!

17. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

yes but pink ones for the girls, right? [​IMG]

18. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

19. Disclaimer : I teach overseas, my daughter attends the school I teach at and we have some incredibly wealthy parents for whom spending money is a competitive sport.
    Most of the party bags she recieves are massive, full of toys, sweets. She has also recieved personalised books and bags, a calendar with the stick on dates, a swimming towel and dress.
    The most incredible ever was a digital camera.