1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Party Bags

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gergil4, Apr 13, 2012.

1. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I hate party bags! People spend a fortune on them and most of it ends up in a bin. Does anyone have any inspirational ideas of something I could give instead of a party bag? They will be for 7 year olds.I have before given a large bubble wand (99p version) with a lolly tied to it, and a book with a small chocolate bar. Any other ideas or do I just give in and do the bags? I need about 25! Thank you.

2. A bit of cake and a thankyou for coming? That's what we used to get.
    I know about party bags though - it's a whole industry, isn't it and most stuff does end up in the bin. I think providing 25 is a bit much - but it's peer pressure, isn't it? TBH, will the children care they don't get party bags as long as they've had a nice time and lots of food?

3. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Don't give them anything!!!
    Erm, how about a lucky dip for them to take a pick from?

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I've always given in and got the party bags, because of pressure from Cariadlet who likes coming and choosing the tat to put in them.
    One of my friends buys books from the book people - they often do collections of 10 or 12 books for a fraction of the cost of buying the books individually. Cariadlet comes home from her parties with a party bag containing a book and 1 bar of chocolate or 1 bag of sweets.
    My friend probably spends less than the rest of us mugs who give in and provide standard party bag fare, but the children go home with something that will actually last.

5. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

I agree!
    This year for the first time my daughter is having her party at a soft play place so it's already costing £9 per child, plus whatever I spend on the cake so don't feel very inclined to spend even more on lots of tat!
    Think we'll go for a piece of cake, balloon and lolly pop and if people think we're tight so be it!
    P.S. - 25!! We've given her a limit of 10 - OMG we are tight!

6. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Thanks so far. Yes, I agree with the 'Thanks for coming' and some cake - my style! I'm currently on thebookpeople website. I've done this before and it makes more sense to me. Perhaps I'll just continue to be 'the odd mother' ...!

7. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

I've done the book people book collection before, and I also did a craft party where the kids all made things and then took them home - painted those clear plastic shapes to hang in windows, made cards etc. That way the entertainment doubled up as a going home present.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I don't have children, so don't have to worry about appearing cruel to my offspring.......I hate party-bags!
    At the age of 4 a niece of mine was in tears (actually a throw-yourself-on-the-ground tantrum) because her birthday cake was 'just' round....it was a nice cake... homemade, chocolate with buttercream inside, chocolate buttery icing to cover and sweets on top - like a clock face......but this was not good enough! All her friends had castles or teddies or who-know-or-really-cares what shapes. A round cake was unacceptable for pre-school divas!
    Some years later her older sister came back from a birthday party with a bag that was positively bulging with goodies - including a Disney DVD (hostess mum smugly explained they were on offer on Amazaon!)...my sister was the one in tears....how could she possibly do better than DVDs? ..because you have to 'do better'..or else you have failed as a mum!
    Give them a piece of birthday cake wrapped in a napkin!

9. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Or, don't do a party!!!

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

We tend to give away the majority of what's left of the party food. If I'm feeling like nice mummy and there aren't too many children I might give them a selection of bits from a pack that tesco do - rubbers, pencils, sharpeners, etc). For a big party, I'd stick to food items. Bit of the cake, bag of starmix, mini roll and a couple of party rings.

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I always do party bags and don't put tat in, at least not in my humble opinion! Instead I put in just a few quality things that the kids can use, such as a packet of plant/flower seeds, a pencil with rubber on top for school, a hair accessory for the girls, small toy car for the boys, piece of cake, lollipop, bubbles (good ones), a cool badge, a quality balloon (the 'punch' ones with the elastic band on go down particularly well).
    Not all of it has to be plastic shi.te that gets chucked in the bin by parents ... and you wouldn't believe how cheaply I can do a party bag.
    Check out 'Book World' type shops on the High Street ... even Poundland can be good for certain things, so long as you are fussy about what you buy!

12. I don't have children so I probably can't give much helpful advice but I can remember never being overly bothered by party bags. Most of the stuff breaks and ends up in the bin. However, as I am a big fan of party food I think that idea is excellent!

13. Bah humbug. Give them a flyer for Oxfam.

14. eggnchips- I'm with you!

15. I like the seeds idea! Maybe you could do seeds with a note inviting them to join you in a tallest sunflower competition in a few months! ??

16. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I like the idea of a book. Red House is another place that do good value packs for kids. I have sometimes gone to Asda an got small packs of felt tips pens for about 17p each. I don't think I'd be brave enough to not do anything.

17. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

What are we looking at here? (guessing £9 entrance fee + £5 per kid in food + £4 goody bag ) X 20 = £360

No wonder parents want to be subsidised from the common purse.
    Spending your own hard earned is really going to sting if you are dropping it on stuff this stupidly ephemeral, wasteful and indulgent

18. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Significantly cheaper if you go about it sensibly, lurky.
    I've had plenty of the girls' parties at home and when I'm not feeling quite brave enough, I've sourced cheap venues such as council run leisure centres and church halls. I provide the food myself and it's very cheap, as wee ones eat so little ... especially in the throes of excitement!
    This year middle tartette will have a joint birthday party with a classmate, as they turn 6 in the same month.
    Halvers all the way.

19. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

You're right, Lurk. It can be all terribly competetive, and people re prepared to spend a lot of money. It's sad really.

20. I used to bow to this pressure until I actually asked the opinion of my kids and a ragtag selection of their friends who were cluttering the house up one summer's day.
    They all agreed that they love getting a party bag, but when looking though it they shove aside the stationery / hairties / etc in search of the main attraction - SWEETS. Which are also the cheapest items in the bags to buy.
    Probably made me unpopular with the other parents...