1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Partitioning numbers into 5 and a bit for addition

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by concrete, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Hi
    I have a lesson observation tomorrow and the above is my learning objective. I have no problem delivering the lesson but it wouldn't be one I would have chosen as an observation. I can't think of a way to make it interesting, relevant to the real world or exciting. My planning is pretty dull. Any ideas greatly received.

Thanks

Jay

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'd be fascinated to hear how this went, given that I don't even understand the LO

3. Visual demonstrations with multilink, but instead of having traditional sticks of 10, each stick of 10 is make from two sticks of 5 (i.e. one stick with 5 of one colour then 5 of the another), to scaffold the way the student is seeing the addition/subtraction?
    I think it's quite a hard learning objective to work on on its own. If students are being encouraged to do this you have to accept that they may be doing something similar and equally valid instead, so you need to link your learning objective to a wider one.
    Dunno if that helps at all, just rambling.

4. What about using hands? They would need to work with a partner (or small groups) so could be fun and visual (I'm thinking making 5s with fingers if that's not clear!)

5. Hi, I know that your observation will have passed now - I hope it went well, but others my search for this topic and I wanted to add something else before I forget.
    Tonight at my ATM group we did some work on Soroban, which is the Japanes abacus.
    It's different to western abacusses because it has a single bead for 5 and five unit beads in each power of 10. It really gets to the heart of this topic.
    ATM have some great resources for work from year 3 up on this. Personally I would use their material up to year 7 and above that with lower sets. They're really good - the kind of resources you would want to dedicate a couple of weeks to.
    Here's a link to the book
    http://www.atm.org.uk/shop/products/act053.html
    I believe ATM have teacher's sorobans to lend out so it's worth phoning and asking.
    Here's a link to info about buying sorobans.
    http://www.sorobancymru.co.uk/page4.html
    Kimie, who wrote the book, works tirelessly on soroban and is always at conferences doing sessions. She's the kind of person you could talk to directly about your ideas.
    Where have my retinue gone? Come on - show yourselves.....

6. Japanese
    Sorry I didn't explain the retinue part of the soroban.
    It's here:
    retinue part of the soroban
    Has anyone else met Kimie or used the soroban?

7. Bit late for the post..but this is an excelent book!