1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Partitioned bus stop method?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ladylyra, Oct 14, 2018.

1. ladylyra

ladylyra New commenter

Hi all!

I'm teaching my SEN class division this week. The group I'm with are currently working at a year 3 level so I'm going to start broaching bus stop division with them, which I know from experience in mainstream primary is often really tricky! I'm starting off with partitioning to divide informally and I wondered if anyone had tried translating this into bus stop (similar to grid method/ladder method in multiplying?) to try and bridge the gap there? Is there a reason it's not done? Jumping straight in to short division sounds like a huge step and I wondered if this'd help clear up the confusion.

Just to be very clear, what I envision is something like:
    __ 10 + 1
    2/ 20 + 2

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Looks like it may work...another method might be to use diennes or place value counters to physically make 22...show the two tens being split in 2, and the two units being split in to 2. Moving on do eg 32...this time show the two tens being split in two with the last ten being split in to ten units and placed alongside the 2 units to make 12. If I had to teach bus stop with beginners that’s what I’d do (by the time they get to me they can almost all do it!)

3. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Not really sure how best to answer your question, but if you're looking for a way to teach a tricky maths concept you may find mathantics.com useful.

ladylyra likes this.
  4. ladylyra

ladylyra New commenter

Oh yeah, that's the plan! We're going to do some part-part-whole models to divide using partitioning and dienes the day before and the dienes are always there to support.

I've got a feeling most of mine will have encountered it before but actual understanding will be poor (had a right battle taking them back to grid method when they can all do column multiplying, albeit very poorly!)

5. vickytoria

vickytoria New commenter

Definitely use place value counters. It makes the whole concept much clearer.

I don’t like the term ‘bus stop’ though!

6. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I agree I don't think, as we areceive now teaching for mastery, that the term 'bus stop method' should be used. A formal written method is the term is would want my staff to use and the CPA approach is best

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why are you teaching written division methods if the class are working at a year 3 level?

Teach them practical sharing and dividing and informal methods of recording.
    Leave things like bus stop until they are much further on.

We don't start it until year 4 and ours are high attaining children, with little SEN/EAL, in an independent school.