1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part timers and bank holidays

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by alixlune, Mar 14, 2011.

1. I have been working the same 3 days for 13 years and suddenly our manager asks the part time people who work at the begining of the week to make up a proportion of the bank holiday/s so it isn't unfair to the people working at the end of the week. Is this legal?

2. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

I'd say not...ask your Union - Of course you could have another part-time job at the end of the week...How would they feel about it?!

3. Very, very politely ask your manager for a clear written explanation of the legislation which he/she is relying on to support this request.
    If none can be produced, tell him her just where to file the suggestion. If any is produced simply forward it to your union and wait for them to to give you advice (which will be to tell the manager where to file the suggestion).

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Years ago I worked in a Local Authority office going 2.5 days per week ona job-share.
    I worked from noon on Wednesday, all day Thursday and Friday.
    In months where there Bank Holiday Mondays, I'd receive the equivalent of half a day'spay extra for each BH and my counterpart working the start of week would see a commensurate reduction in her gross pay. She didn't particularly mind about losing half a day's pay as she was spared the travel costs for that day and paid less tax and NI. She less than half of what she would have received for the day.f
    If either of us was off sick, the other one might be asked to step in to cover the absence, with extra pay forthcoming.
    I don't understand why your LA has not been paying you pro-rata for Bank Holidays for the past 13 years!

5. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Surely all but the may bank hol falls in the holidays anyway so noone is working them. Also as jubilee has said, I am sure this will have been built into the pay from the start.

6. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

Teachers certainly aren't much affected given how many are bank holidays! But I know my husband's holiday / bank holiday entitlement is worked out very carefully based on his working week (Tuesday to Friday). So he gains 0.8 of a day each time there is a bank holiday on a Monday, but loses some when it is on a day he works.