1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part timer redundancy payment

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by san38, Nov 1, 2018.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

Hello, I went part time (0.6) last year for family reasons. Looking at curriculum cuts I now fear I may be targeted next year for redundancy. My question is how would my redundancy be calculated? Although I am UPS my weekly wage is obviously only 60% of that. I will be 56 next year and wonder if I would be effectively be retiring and if this would effect it too. It would be unwelcome news, I've only taught for 20 years but it's looking like I may be out of options.
    I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Redundancy is a formal process which depends on a lot of factors, a good starting point for you to understand is this site
    https://www.gov.uk/browse/working/redundancies-dismissals
    The whole process is quite hard to get right so most schools sub-contract this to the LA and teachers/staff tend to rely on their union for advice and navigating. This was the case for me despite being a school rep myself and with training to regional rep standard I still relied heavily on that regional rep!

The good news is that the employer is obliged to state all the terms of the redundancy so you'll have plenty of opportunity and time to make an informed decision.

I'll have a go at answering your question but union advice is definitely essential here.
    Over 2 years service with the employer means a payout and the statutory minimum is a week and a half's pay for each year worked, 0.6 of a week means 0.6 of a payout. If your 20 years are with this school then that would mean a high payout but there are caps in place which could limit this. Again union advice but you should be informed of these limits as part of the process.
    This payout is compensation for no work so if you go straight to another school within a month then no payout, more complicated what if your school offers a similar job, very complex there? I avoided this by going into supply and so was paid by an agency (and UC) not a school.

Your age is not a factor in this context, unless your school might find it better to offer you a retirement package but that would be pricey anyway.

It needn't be doom and gloom, I'm quite happy doing supply since redundancy at Christmas 2016 and I'm only a bit younger than you. Also there are a lot of ifs before the process has a chance of kicking off.

3. san38

san38 New commenter

Thank you JohnJ for that very detailed reply, that makes sense and is quite reassuring. Thanks for taking the time to reply so extensively

4. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Once made redundant you could also take your pension albeit reduced as ARB and then after a days break ssrtvwork elsewhere.

When I was made redundant I had to wait 5 Sunday’s before stratingnanortger teaching job (1stcoctover in my case) or I would lose the payout - again check with your union.

I was made redundant age 53 and a quarter did permanent supply for six months

Got full time contract aged 55 and worked for just over three years.
    Decided to retire again and moved - got six month supply contract in new area and am now on a years temporary contract in another school aged 59!

There is a future out there

5. san38

san38 New commenter

Thank you 50sman, reassuring! Thanks for taking time to reply

6. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Hi @san38 - it's been a while! How are your son and his partner?

Just wanted to say that it is possible to be made redundant from one part-time teaching post while still working in another - this happened to me when I was working Monday - Wednesday in school A, and Fridays in school B. I was made redundant and received a redundancy payment from school B, but was told that I would only lose the right to the payment if I got another teaching job on Fridays, even though I was still working in school A Mon - Wed.

7. san38

san38 New commenter

Hi Lalad, thanks for info and thanks for asking! Son is well thank you, he split up with partner which has been nothing but beneficial to them and those around them. He is now in good health, with a new partner and enjoying life :) I hope things are well with you&yours

8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

That's good news - I'm so glad to hear he is doing well. My youngest is now having some mental health problems but otherwise they are all fine.

9. san38

san38 New commenter

Sorry to hear that Lalad, these things take such a roll. Hoping things improve for him

10. san38

san38 New commenter

#toll

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I can't find that rule on the link you gave. Perhaps if the other school counts as the same employer, it might be the case, but it is certainly not a rule that a redundancy payment will not be made if you find another job quickly. I was given redundancy by a bank and started my new job the next day.

12. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

It is a rule for teachers
    this is a factsheet from the NUT website

What is the four week rule?

The four week rule is a provision in the Employment Rights Act 1996 which sets out the circumstances in which the renewal of a contract or re-engagement following redundancy may invalidate entitlement to a redundancy payment.

In what circumstances will the four week rule be triggered?

The four week rule will be triggered and, therefore, entitlement to a redundancy payment may be lost, where:

·the same employer or another employer listed in the Redundancy Payment (Local Government) (Modification) Order 1999, as amended, offers a teacher a ‘suitable’ job before his or her existing employment terminates; and

·the teacher accepts the new job which starts within 4 weeks of the termination of his or her existing job.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

So does this mean any school including private sector? Or any state funded school? Or any LA school? Or the same LA? Sorry, I find the wording of the legislation rather opaque. However, it does appear that one could start doing supply soon after the leaving date as long as it was not offered prior to the leaving date.

14. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

The rule is opaque but best to abide by it

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  15. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I've no idea how to answer this and I should really. I presume it comes from an extension of the situation where an employer finds a different role for the redundant one in the same company and it has been confusingly expanded to include LAs (but how do academies and their chains fit in here?).
    Why I was happy to go into supply, via an agency to avoid having to even think about it. I did have the supply lined up before the leaving date though and this didn't make any difference. It's the err..... Not Being Employed at a School bit that counts, not the timing.

16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I was relying on the quote from @50sman, which says that the timing is important - for the rule to apply, the job offer must be before the leaving date. This fits in with the idea that redundancy is not paid if another suitable job is offered before the first job ends.

Yes. I looked up the legislation, and didn't understand it. However, I can't believe that the private sector could be included here, as there is no way that the employer could be called the same.

JohnJCazorla likes this.