1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Sserts, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Sserts

Sserts New commenter

I am currently contracted to teach 5 mornings and 4 afternoons, (I have one afternoon PPA.) What do people think my percentage should be? I am currently on .9 but other staff who have a morning off and all afternoon PPA on the same day ( ie. a day off a week ) are on .9 too. This doesn’t seem fair. As I am working an hour more than them every week. Mmm

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It's 0.9 of the total full time hours/PPA so fingure out what a full timer does and take it from there.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are on STPCD there's detailed guidance on how to calculate what your p/t percentage is, it's in the guidance section paras 39 - 44 (on pages 70 - 72). Use it even if you aren't on STPCD.

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._pay_and_conditions_document_2018.pdf#page=70

0.9 is unlikely to be correct unless morning and afternoon sessions in your school are the same length, which would be unusual. Morning sessions are usually longer. PPA is part of your contracted, paid, p/t hours of course.

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Another interesting spin on it is that because PPA has to be at least 10%, there can be a considerable variation in contracted hours, yet you have the same PPA time. Eg in my school people on say 0.94 and 0.69 could all have the same number of PPA (3 periods per week, secondary).

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

PPA has to be at least 10% of your teaching time, not the school timetable. I had a couple of small contracts where my PPA worked out at less than one lesson a week - which meant we didn't even timetable it (although I was paid for it). Sometimes part-timers do end up with proportionally more, because if it is timetabled then it will need to be rounded up. I also had a bit extra when I was on a larger contract just because of how the timetable lay - my "trapped time" came to more than my PPA entitlement. I did some intervention in my extras - nowadays I expect that would be timetabled for me.