1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part Time working

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Freyasmum, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Freyasmum

Freyasmum New commenter

It looks like my head is seriously considering letting me go part time so I can do an SpLD Masters. He wants me to think about how I want to structure it and was looking for some insight from anyone here that is already part time or has experience. I'm thinking that doing all mornings will help with planning and a better experience for the children, but having full days when I don't have to be in school also appeals. Any thoughts?

paddydewhurst likes this.
  2. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Occasional commenter

Full days not in school I would say are better.

Anonymity likes this.
  3. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

I've been part time for a few years now. I would absolutely agree that full days not in school are better.

My main two concerns about working every morning would be whether you would really get away on time every day? It's very easy to be drawn in to things as you're just walking out of the door!

Also, depending upon how the hours are split, I would argue that mornings are more than 0.5 FTE. Even if it is calculated perfectly accurately on hours in the classroom, mornings are surely more demanding for planning and marking.

It's important to find the correct job share pairing. I have a fantastic job share; we both have a similar style yet both bring different skills to the classroom. The children like it.

We're lucky - we both work on a Wednesday and have PPA together, so communication is strong.

Good luck.

ultimatedingbat likes this.
  4. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

I agree. I worked mornings only and it is definitely the hardest part of the job and you miss out on the foundation subjects and seeing a different side to the pupils. Whole day off much better.

5. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Work whole days, definately. I used to do 2 and 1/2 days and never managed to leave before 2.00 on my half day.

6. HeatheranneF

HeatheranneF New commenter

I've done both and they each have their drawbacks. Teaching all mornings usually means teaching Maths and English so continuity is a lot easier but getting away from school promptly can be a challenge.