1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time working and parents evening

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by missjones21, Mar 8, 2018.

1. missjones21

missjones21 New commenter

Basically i work half day until 12pm on monday tuesday and friday and full day wednesday and thursday. Parents evening has been scheduled for monday and tuesday and basically i have been told i have to go back.
    However the reason i work part time is that we relocated and have no family and juggle childcare between hubby and i and private nursery, and on the afternoons off i dont have flexibility as i'm being a parent. What is my situation on this? I've suggested moving them to the Wednesday and Thursday but im currently in the bad books as I had to miss a day of inspection due to my son being ill for two days and my hubby had already taken one day off to collect him from school. I feel like my head could explode with all the stress to be honest, so any advice appreciated.

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

It's my understanding that you cannot be expected to come back for these, but i could be wrong. Could you swap working days or childcare around?

Look also at your directed time. Based on your contract you can work out your additional directed time and hence whether you can be expected to go.

Another thought, if you don't teach those afternoon - who does and couldn't they do parent evening?

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The rules aren't totally clear on whether you can be expected to go back on a day when you work part of the day. I always have for parents evenings (usually I was the only teacher of the group), but not for meetings.

It sounds as if you're primary. Your suggestion of doing your appointments on Wednesday and Thursday sounds eminently sensible. It presumably means someone from SLT needs to be around, but they probably are anyway (perhaps you share your class with SLT?), and it's a little less convenient for those with children in your class and another.

If you could work out some childcare for either Monday or Tuesday, perhaps a compromise would be to do that day and Wednesday. It might be worth asking whether the school knows of any options local to the school - it might depend a bit on the age of your child(ren). Is there a TA who might be willing to babysit them (for pay) while you see parents?

As Camokidmommy says, the other question is whether it needs to be you who does parents evening - although if you teach the children the most then it's probably better if you are there, especially if you're only there at hometime a couple of times a week, and so parents don't get much opportunity to talk to you. But you could do a deal that you do the written reports and supply some notes for the other teacher for parents evening.

4. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

I don't think they can expect you to go back as you could have another job in the afternoons of Mon, Tues and Friday which would be impacted.