1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time working and duties.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lucykate, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I have a question about working part time, I hope you can help! In September I started a new part time job in a school working 3 days Mon to Weds. Previously i was working in a 6th form college approx 3 and half days a week. I have 2 children in paid childcare while I am at work. In my last job I had a very understanding HOD who never asked me to do anything extra, although i did because I cared about the job and I felt supported. I attended open evenings and parents evenings when appropriate but my HOD made it quite clear he did not expect me to attend on my day/afternoon off. At this time I was working 5 mins from my house.
    I now work in a town half an hours drive away. I am unhappy in my job which obviously has some bearing on what I am willing to do beyond what is "duty" and I have had absolutely no support as a new member of staff whatsoever!
    Anyway my issues are as follows:
    1. We are expected to do twilight insets, it is supposedly not compulsory as if we don't do them we can make up the hours on day after the last day of term but it is obvious SMT don't actually want us to do that!! I have been pressured into doing the twilight hours (pro rata of course!) and have attended one session but they are ALL on a thursday which is a day I don't work, there is no family/friends available to have my kids at that time so I have to pay childcare. Do I have to attend these? Especially seeing as the alternative is option which i am happy to do!
    2. I have booked a holiday in term time but on my days off work. I misread my calendar and I have now realised that it falls on Y7 parents evening (thursday again!!) I can't really cancel the family holiday!! Am I required under contract to attend the parents evening. I am annoyed with myself because I don't really want to miss it! But the question is how does it work when you are part time and "duties" fall on your day off?

Thanks in advance for your help, sorry it's a bit long!

2. Hi everyone, I have a question about working part time, I hope you can help! In September I started a new part time job in a school working 3 days Mon to Weds. Previously i was working in a 6th form college approx 3 and half days a week. I have 2 children in paid childcare while I am at work. In my last job I had a very understanding HOD who never asked me to do anything extra, although i did because I cared about the job and I felt supported. I attended open evenings and parents evenings when appropriate but my HOD made it quite clear he did not expect me to attend on my day/afternoon off. At this time I was working 5 mins from my house.
    I now work in a town half an hours drive away. I am unhappy in my job which obviously has some bearing on what I am willing to do beyond what is "duty" and I have had absolutely no support as a new member of staff whatsoever!
    Anyway my issues are as follows:
    1. We are expected to do twilight insets, it is supposedly not compulsory as if we don't do them we can make up the hours on day after the last day of term but it is obvious SMT don't actually want us to do that!! I have been pressured into doing the twilight hours (pro rata of course!) and have attended one session but they are ALL on a thursday which is a day I don't work, there is no family/friends available to have my kids at that time so I have to pay childcare. Do I have to attend these? Especially seeing as the alternative is option which i am happy to do!
    2. I have booked a holiday in term time but on my days off work. I misread my calendar and I have now realised that it falls on Y7 parents evening (thursday again!!) I can't really cancel the family holiday!! Am I required under contract to attend the parents evening. I am annoyed with myself because I don't really want to miss it! But the question is how does it work when you are part time and "duties" fall on your day off?

Thanks in advance for your help, sorry it's a bit long!

3. Hi Lucykate,
    You are right that if you are part-time that you should be doing twilights / parents evenings etc pro rata. ie, if you work 2.5 days or half a week, then you should attend half the insets and parents evenings.
    However, you are also right that you cannot be called in to work on days you do not work (and therefore evenings.) I know exactly what you are going through as have been there myself, working both 2 days and 4 days a week, with children in full time childcare, and often unsympathetic Heads. (Secondary, btw)
    So... the upshot is that both of the above statements are accurate, but they contradict each other, so leaves you in a very difficult position! Usually a reasonable Head will negotiate with you what is reasonable and try to reach a compromise. Not sure if you are primary or secondary, but you could arrange to hold parent appts one day after school on a day you do work (obviously a little more difficult for secondary, but possibly managable), Or alternatively, offer to write a short synopsis on the students and ask parents to arrange to see you after school one day, if they have anything they need to discuss.
    Personally, when I was asked to attend an INSET on a day I didn't work (and incidently, it is discrimination not to be offered the opportunity to attend, with appropriate renumeration), I would always insist on being paid, otherwise it would end up costing me to go! (Full timers are not expected to work extra days for no pay, so why should part-timers?) This should also apply to INSET on days you do not work, or at least the offer of time in leiu.
    You Head must also understand that you may have (and are entitled to make) other commitments outside your work days. When I was working 2 days a week, I was also doing some childminding on the other days, (which could go on quite late), and when I worked 4 days a week, I was teaching 2 days each at two different establishments, so couldn't attend some parents evenings or INSETS.
    It is also worth mentioning to the Head that if they want to include part-timers then perhaps they need to make sure meetings, INSETS and twilights don't always fall on the same days as this could in fact, be seen as discriminatory!
    With regards to your holiday - it is in your own time and presumably booked before the INSET/ parents eve schedule was published, so go and enjoy it - no one can dictate what you do on your days off - surely that's why you went part-time in the first place, so you had some time off!!
    HTH
    Juliet