1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time worker- directed time

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 1ms111, Sep 30, 2018.

1. 1ms111

1ms111 New commenter

Hi all. I was wondering peoples thoughts on the following. I work three days (2 in a job share class & 1 ppa cover for another class). I'm given 1.5 hours ppa. In terms of meetings I have one whole school meeting for an hour on one day after school, two planning meetings the next day (one at lunch time for half hour) and the other planning meeting (usually an hour sometimes more) after school. I'm finding it very hard to fit all my other work in. My old full time job directed me for one hour a week. Please advise me as I want to know what to say when I approach SLT we I to feel it's its way OTT considering three day worker.

2. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Hi, I also work 3 days and have same as you. i also get 1.5 hours PPA as our school gives 30 mins for every full day you work. I think it's just unfortunate that at our school, the meetings are all got out of the way on the Mon- Weds and these happen to be the 3 days I work! My job share partner who does Thurs and Fri does no meetings at all.
    However, having really struggled to find a part-time job (and I live in a city with lots of primary schools!) I just go with the flow. Maybe I shouldn't and if you really want to know what to say to SLT about this if you think it's unfair, then contact your union.

3. 1ms111

1ms111 New commenter

Yes it's because there are so many hours directed time legally and apparently it's less for part time workers . Just feels a bit extreme! But thank you I will contact the union . :)

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Your directed time should not be more than 759 hours. Total it up and see. If parent consultations are on your non-working days it may balance up a bit - if they're on your working days as well, you might well be going over.
    If you're over, then you need to enquire politely about what it would be best for you to skip. If you can have some suggestions ready that might be helpful - you might be able to spot some meetings that are less relevant to you (perhaps because they're about things which happen on your days off).

5. 1ms111

1ms111 New commenter

Ok that's really useful. Thank you