1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time work load

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Charli3munch8, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Charli3munch8

Charli3munch8 New commenter

Hi I'm looking for advise. I'm UPS and part-time class teacher. However, a long term supply has been booked to cover the other part. I have been told I have full class responsibility. I am required to plan for the supply, attend all pupil progress meetings and parents evenings. I am deeply concerned, it's only been one week and I'm already feeling overwhelmed by the extra planning for two days. I do share a year group with other fulltime teacher and we share some of the planning. But the extra lessons/resource prep took an extra 4 hours- which I don't teach.
    The new head has justified it by giving me the same amount of PPA (an extra 20 mins!) as a full time teacher and the the fact I'm UPS.
    I do have family commitments and that is the reason I am part-time.
    How can I approach my head with my concerns?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The difference in PPA should be an hour, surely? Maybe you were getting more than pro rata before.

You could perhaps show your head your planning for yourself and your planning for the supply teacher, which I imagine has to have rather more detail written down, and say that if you only have the normal amount of PPA, you only have time to give your supply teacher the level of detail you're jotting down for yourself. You'll also need time, presumably, to look at their assessment and so on. Maybe they can give you some extra non-contact before pupil progress and parents' evenings?

If you're expected to do all the meetings (which I assume are all on your working days, otherwise they can't expect that), you're probably pushing the directed time budget. Add up your directed time, and if it's too much, ask how it is going to be reduced.

3. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

I sympathise OP- start as you mean to go on and try to nip this in the bud.

You could email your phase leader or head about your concerns and follow up with a meeting. What is the plan long term - ask SLT, it's a reasonable question. Be clear about what you would make the workload more manageable in the meantime? You might need to speak to your union too.

The issue is not the supply as presumably they've negotiated these conditions. Supplies don't get all the benefits of those on contract and employed directly by the school.

The school don't seem to have secured a part time teacher via the usual recruitment routes. Ideally the school will take the teacher on once they have done 3 months in post. It might involve them paying the agency a fee but hopefully that'll be their plan - this way they have security for the pupils (a supply is not tied to the school) and they can then share the responsibilities with you equally.

Bottom line is your family commitments come first.
    Hope this helps.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

5. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything New commenter

It sounds very unfair to me. I don't understand why a long-term supply isn't meant to do any planning? It would be my understanding that if they were in school 'long-term' they would effectively be joining the team for that period. Is that incorrect?

6. iamharrietrobinson

iamharrietrobinson New commenter

Ask the supply what they agreed to and if they could do planning? If, ‘yes’, Ask the School to give you / year group and supply PPA together, plus ask School to book cover for them. Then you and the supply / year group could plan together. However, supply may have agreed ‘no planning’ (i.e. just teach, mark and go). Good luck! Contact your union for advice / support. (This is not advice just sharing ideas, all ideas are my own and no one else’s).

7. Charli3munch8

Charli3munch8 New commenter

Thanks for all the replys. I have taken some of your advice into action. I appreciate it all.

I have found a way of making the workload less for me.
    Given schemes for supply to teach
    Simplified the guided reading
    Set some lessons as a recap/revision lesson.
    It was a waste trying to plan for every eventuality. Plus the plans were never followed. The supply is a professional and should be able to handle an objective, basic lesson plan.
    It seems to be working for now.
    Fingers crossed it will continue.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Let's hope so!