1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time - UPS2?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by subtlefreq, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hello there

Would love some advice please...
    Am currently UPS1 and have been for the last 5 years (career break, relocated, supply taught and had a baby). I have been teaching one day a week on a permanent contract at the same school for 2 yrs. The school has been going through turbulent times and, the short version of events is that there's a new head in charge.

I received a letter from the govs saying I was invited to move up to UPS2 for September this year. When I looked into the criteria for this, I discovered that 2 successful PMs were generally all that was required. My performance had not been managed at all in those past 2 yrs. After having brought this fact to the attention of the deputy head, some panic then ensued and I underwent two observations in lieu of PM. I put it on the back burner, perhaps foolishly, thinking that i wouldn't be eligible anyway.

However, yesterday I received a letter saying that in order to back up my request to go to UPS2, the govs and head require evidence in the form of "your planning and assessment files for the last two years together with a sample of the children's work to demonstrate the impact of your teaching. We would be grateful to have sight of that evidence before the end of term."

Because I work part time, I have officially finished school for the summer now but, what I wanted to know was whether this is a reasonable request from the governors and where I actually stand having been forgotten about with regard to PM.

Sorry for the massively long post. Hope someone can help me out.

SF

2. Hello there

Would love some advice please...
    Am currently UPS1 and have been for the last 5 years (career break, relocated, supply taught and had a baby). I have been teaching one day a week on a permanent contract at the same school for 2 yrs. The school has been going through turbulent times and, the short version of events is that there's a new head in charge.

I received a letter from the govs saying I was invited to move up to UPS2 for September this year. When I looked into the criteria for this, I discovered that 2 successful PMs were generally all that was required. My performance had not been managed at all in those past 2 yrs. After having brought this fact to the attention of the deputy head, some panic then ensued and I underwent two observations in lieu of PM. I put it on the back burner, perhaps foolishly, thinking that i wouldn't be eligible anyway.

However, yesterday I received a letter saying that in order to back up my request to go to UPS2, the govs and head require evidence in the form of "your planning and assessment files for the last two years together with a sample of the children's work to demonstrate the impact of your teaching. We would be grateful to have sight of that evidence before the end of term."

Because I work part time, I have officially finished school for the summer now but, what I wanted to know was whether this is a reasonable request from the governors and where I actually stand having been forgotten about with regard to PM.

Sorry for the massively long post. Hope someone can help me out.

SF

3. Interestingly I have just been looking into this and have discoverd that you shouldn't have to give any evidence at all.
    The NUT have produced a document called 'NUT Guidance on UPS Progression for 2010/11' which clearly states that 'there is no requirement for applications or evidence,' among other things. Attached to that is a suggested letter to send your head teacher if he/she doesn't progress you up the pay scale.

I don't know if you are in a union but I suggest you speak to your rep if you are. I will try to attach the NUT doc here but I'm not sure I know how.

Good luck.

4. I can't attach it but you can easily find it by typing the document name into your search engine. It will take you to the NUT page with the link on.

Good luck.

Anne

5. Thanks ever so much for that. I'm in the NASUWT but I shall go and download that doc straight away. Part of me was hoping that would be the case and the other part hoping it wouldn't (don't much fancy the battle at this point in the year or being perceived as a troublemaker).

Nonetheless, much appreciated. Thank you.
    SF

6. tomjones79

tomjones79 New commenter

Additionally it is the head's responsibility to ensure that the previous 2 reviews should have taken place. If they have no,t it is their fault and the union should be able to defend this. You do not have to produce any additional evidence, apart from the 2 reviews and the reveiwer's recommendation for progression which should have taken place.

7. Hi, I have a related query, I am on UPS 1 and have been for the last 3 years. I work part time - .6 .Can I apply to move up now or do I have to wait until I have worked the equilvalent hours that I would have worked over 2 years if I was full time? Should I have applied last year? Can anyone help? Where would I find this info if I had to argue my case?