1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time TLR payments- why reduced?!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rcstepek, Jun 8, 2018.

1. rcstepek

rcstepek New commenter

I'm going PT soon. I have been doing a KS role for many years now with no complaints. It is expected that I will continue to do 100% of the KS role when I am PT.
    Our school also reduces the TLR to the % PT. I will lose a not insignificant sum of money but still be expected to do the same role. Apparently "All schools do this".
    This affects many staff here, all of them women. Most are mothers.

Is this discrimination against women/ mothers? I know the unions are rather woolly. Does anyone have any advice on how to challenge? I love my school, rate my SLT highly and and well thought of (I think) but I'm not the type to take things lying down.

At present, they seem to be fumbling about to find reasons to justify it to me (my workload will decrease apparently due to the KS covering 2 years not 3 in future). However, TLR is for a KS, not for a defined period of time in my opinion!

I'm sure I'm on a hiding to nothing but input from others in a similar position would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

The TLR is always reduced by part time calculation. However, the workload should be too. Whether this is due to reduction in other responsibilities, sharing out some of the workload, increasing non contact time or reducing expectations of the role is up for negotiation.

Good point that this disproportionately affects mothers.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What @Sundaytrekker says.

If you are on STPCD conditions the school is required to pro-rata the TLR allowance - it's para 41.1 of STPCD 2017. So your school is correct, "all" schools do it, they do it because STPCD requires them to.

STPCD does not say that the TLR post holder still has to do 100% of the TLR work but unions point out that in practice that is what often happens.

What should happen is either the school 'job shares' the TLR and identifies someone else to do 50% or whatever your P/T %age is of the TLR role, or you agree to do the full TLR role but other parts of your duties are reduced, more non-contact time etc, to allow you to do the full TLR role.

STPCD also says [page 70] "All contractual arrangements entered into must comply with the Part-time Workers (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations 2000 and the Equality Act 2010"

Time to get negotiating!

4. Chitara

Chitara New commenter

Part of the money for a TLR=part of the work. I had a similar situation and had a ‘recruitment and retention’ payment to make up the difference. The school is being cheap.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

You could negotiate extra paid free time to complete the role. So extra frees over and above your pro rata allocation.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I knew of a situation where the TLR payment was made in full. It was in an academy, so I suppose it was allowed for the school to move away from STPCD, which they usually used.

BTW, I do wonder if STPCD itself breaks the rules on part time workers in not allowing for somebody doing the entire work for a TLR getting all the money for it. Just a thought!

7. rcstepek

rcstepek New commenter

For anyone reading this thread in future... I met with the Head (good head, always reasonable), outlined my feelings and waited. Eventually he offered me the option to keep the full TLR, although I will need to keep y9 despite it now being ks4. Many thanks to those who responded.

elksnow, Piranha, janerain72 and 5 others like this.