1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time TLR- events related to my job keep being arranged on days I don't work

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kathrynphil, Jan 13, 2012.

1. I wonder if anyone can help me?
    I was recently appointed to a new TLR role. I work 2 days per week. A key part of my role is offering training to other schools. However training events keep being arranged to occur on days I do not work. I have offered to swap days or take time off in lieu so that I can be fufill this part of my role, but keep finding that someone else (usually the deputy) has already put herself down to run the training. She has normally arranged it, but not consulted me on the dates, and instead informs me that the trauining has been arranged but because it's a day I don't work, she will do it. Do I have any rights to request that I am allowed to work on these days and run the training, as stated I should be doing in my job description? I am worried that when it comes to performance management etc I will look like I have not carried out this aspect of my role. I do not have a regular class that I teach so swapping days in order to carry out training does not negatively impact the school. I feel that I am being denied the chance to carry out an important aspect of my role because I am part-time. Any advice greatly welcomed.

2. I wonder if anyone can help me?
    I was recently appointed to a new TLR role. I work 2 days per week. A key part of my role is offering training to other schools. However training events keep being arranged to occur on days I do not work. I have offered to swap days or take time off in lieu so that I can be fufill this part of my role, but keep finding that someone else (usually the deputy) has already put herself down to run the training. She has normally arranged it, but not consulted me on the dates, and instead informs me that the trauining has been arranged but because it's a day I don't work, she will do it. Do I have any rights to request that I am allowed to work on these days and run the training, as stated I should be doing in my job description? I am worried that when it comes to performance management etc I will look like I have not carried out this aspect of my role. I do not have a regular class that I teach so swapping days in order to carry out training does not negatively impact the school. I feel that I am being denied the chance to carry out an important aspect of my role because I am part-time. Any advice greatly welcomed.

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Who receives the 0.6 of your TLR? Surely they should be doing it? I have had two job shared TLR roles (although been a full time teacher) I did the work on days when my job shares were not in. (obviously with a bit of give and take.)

4. No one has the other 0.6- I take full responsibility for the role

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

In which case, it is hard to see how you can be expected to do it in just 0.4 of the days. It strikes me that this should have been discussed when offering you the TLR.

6. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

This seems really odd that a job has been allocated which recievs a fraction of a TLR. In my school all TLR roles have always been full time. (Just not neccessarily done by the same person.)

7. I'm in the process of trying to persuade my head to pay me the full TLR, because of this...

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

THe rules regarding TLRS were quite specific when they were set up -they stipulated that no-one could receive a part-time TLR, although if they were doing a whole job share (i.e. sharing both a class/timetable plus sharing a TLR), they could. This was stated in order to prevent exactly this scenario occurring, i.e. someone asking for part-time, insisting they should keep their TLR and then saying they should be paid it full-time.
    The NUT has issued 'guidance' (NB 'guidance' from unions does not mean it's the law) on this precisely because some heads did not understand the stipulation and because some were successfully 'persuaded' by union reps.
    My personal view is that most TLRs cannot successfully be carried out by someone working part-time, unless the TLR itself is shared with someone who carries out the rest of it. Moreover, I don't see the fairness or logic at all in paying someone 100% of a TLR who cannot carry out the TLR for the whole week.

9. I am curious to know why someone working part-time could not successfully carry out a TLR role?? I don't have a class responsibility so am actually able to devote a lot more time to this TLR role that many of my full-time TLR colleagues who teach a class too. I was already 0.4, and pretty much doing this role informally, when the TLR post came up (I've only officially been in post since November). If a 0.4 TLR payment necesarily means you only do 0.4 of the role (regardless of what else you do)- then should I be insisting that someone else be appointed as the other 0.6? This would leave me, though, with not enough work to do during the two days I work! Effectively, this role would take a full-time teacher about 1/2 a day every week day to carry out- I just condense this into two full days.

10. erm

erm

So compared to your full-time TLR colleagues who also have to each a class, on those two days you are doing proportionally more TLR and less teaching on those days that you work. Yet you presumably are still being paid the same as them (pro rata) for 2 full days of teaching, even though you have (by your argument) a lesser workload. I think your argument may backfire. Luckily for you though, they would not be allowed to pay you less for your lower teaching load.

11. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I think you seem to be getting a very good deal out of this, if you are not teaching on these two days. TLRs are supposed to reward work that is over and above a 'normal' teachers work load. If you are being given all this time as well I really wouldn't rock the apple cart. Our Heads of Maths, English and Science and Heads of Year get one extra non-contact than normal classroom teahers.

12. Yes I can see where you're both coming from, but...I think that my TLR is an unusual one because I work in a special school and my TLR, which is effectively my entire job now, is to lead the school on autism. Over half our students have autism, and much of my work is very hands-on with students. For example, I might go in an observe a student then work with them, alongside the class teacher or TA for several weeks, helping to set up new strategies etc. I also have to spend quite a lot of time working with the OT and Speech Therapist, as well as offering training to other organisations. None of the above can be done out of school time, so even if the TLR were allocated to a full-time teacher, they would still need equivalent of 2 non-teaching days per week to carry it out...they would do what I do, but be paid the full TLR. Does that alter your opinion at all? Perhaps my job should totally be re-classified, although I feel I should still be classed as a teacher as I do still do a lot of actual work with students, but just don't tend to teach whole classes.

13. Oh, and by the way, to "erm"- it is not that I have a lesser workload, merely that my workload is different from that of a class teacher.

14. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

This sounds like the job the SENCO would be doing in a mainstream school. Suppose though becuase she is full time she can move her SEN time around. Because of the amount of special needs in our school she actually doesn't teach mainstream classes at all currently. There is also about 25 support assistants in a school of 270 pupils.
    Don't really know what the answer is here, but I am sure someone better informed can figure it out.

15. erm

erm

I didn't mean a lesser workload overall, I meant a lesser teaching load. I still don't think you can have it both ways. I don't think you have an argument for being paid 100% of the full-time TLR role in addition to 0.4 pro rata of a regular teacher role whilst only working 2 days.

I accept that your workload is different because you spend proportionally more time on your TLR role than a regular TLR post holder. You said "I don't have a class responsibility so am actually able to devote a lot more time to this TLR role that many of my full-time TLR colleagues who teach a class too." You even said that if you were only expected to do 0.4 of the role "This would leave me, though, with not enough work to do during the two days I work!"

So I still don't see how you can argue getting 100% of the TRL payment plus the full 0.4 payment for the teacher role that you aren't carrying out because the work isn't there. Actually, like paulie86, I think you are on quite a good deal already, even if you are doing more TLR than you are being paid for. You are also doing less teaching than you are being paid for. I don't know many teachers who don't have enough teaching work to fill their time in school.

If it was me, I wouldn't be pushing this with the head.

But back to your original post - maybe that's why the deputy is doing some of the training days or other bits of your role and they don't want you to swap days. I find it a bit worrying that "swapping days in order to carry out training does not negatively impact the school". So who covers your work on the day you want to take off in lieu? Maybe they are worried that if you spend too much time not fulfilling your teaching responsibilities within the school, they will struggle to justify paying you for that part of your role.

16. My argument is as follows: if I were to increase my hours to full-time, and be class based for 3 days and continue with my TLR exactly as I do now for the other two days, I would then get paid the full TLR, although the TLR part of my role would not have changed at all, in either time needed or workload- that just does not make sense to me. If your argument against that is that I would then be teaching too, well yes, but my basic salary would also increase because of that.
    In terms of taking time off in lieu, it's not so much that I "want" to do that, it's more that with the school's budget being limited, I would be prepared to do that, rather than claim extra hours, if key events related to my job (such as meetings or training) necessitate that I attend on other days. I have several regular students that I see but these tend to be in projects which are time limited, so my timetable is ever changing. Of course I would not claim that time in lieu back on days when I would have to cancel any of these sessions, but instead would take it for (probably half days, once I'd mounted up the required hours) when I would normally be arranging meetings/training anyway. I'd say that was being pretty flexible!
    The reason I am not class based is because you simply could not get through the volume of work I have in two days AND teach. My point about being able to spend more time on my TLR role than my colleagues illustrates the craziness that they are paid more to do a role that is less weighty than mine in terms of the time they actually need. I do realise that I am effectively being paid as a "class teacher" whilst not teaching a class. I think you need to think of this as more of a salary basic- I could not, after all, just be paid at TLR rate! Following your argument through, as my colleagues are spending less time on their TLR role, should they not get paid a lesser amount than me- if you believe that because I spend less time teaching than them, I should be grateful for getting any pay as a teacher at all? I do not believe that. I think they deserve the full TLR because they combine teaching and a TLR. I think I desrve the full TLR because it is a massive role that could not possibly be carried out if I were teaching ion my two days too.
    If my job could be reclassified, that would probably solve the problems really. In many ways I am more like the OT or SaLT in terms of what I do. If there was a salary for "autism advisory person", I would happily be paid 0.4 of that. By the way, all teachers at my school (because we are a special school) get an SEN allowance- I am in no way disputing that I deserve more than 0.4 of that. My quibble is that, when we have 5 TLR (all 2a) posts in our school, each with the same level of responsibility, they should all have the say pay "bonus" attached to them. The NUT advice is very clear on this- if you take full responsibility for a TLR, you should be paid the full amount. However, as this is union advice, not statutory, you'll be pleased to know that I don't actually stand a cat in hell's chance of getting anything other than the pro-rata amount anyway.

17. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Hmm I do seem to understand your argument a little clearer now. But can't really offer any advice. Nobody has ever been allocated a fractional TLR in my schools, without the other fraction being given to someone else. In all cases (and there have been a fair few, particularly in my last school), non-contacts and responsibilities have been shared in an equal weighting.

18. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

But back to your OP post, I don't see why they can't let you swap days and have them off in lieu. (especially as it wouldn't effect timetabled classes) Part time staff in my schools TLR holders and others have been allowed to swap days if needed for a variety of things. School trips, training days, Professional development ops etc. School even paying for supply occasinally if the benefit to the kids/school has been there for the swap.

19. Totally agree!
    I'd be inclined to say that if I were you I'd keep well and truly schtum!

20. Thank you for replying. I know it's a tricky one...not many teachers have non-teaching roles and so my case is very unusual. The only people who also have non-teaching roles are the head and deputies, and they obviously still receive essentially a teacher's wage + to do their jobs, although on a different pay scale. I think the confusion is in trying to pay me the same way the other TLRs are paid, i.e. the four other teachers who do combine class and TLR. I have no idea what the answer is...I am hoping the union can help me. I am the only teacher who works 0.4 and I don't think that helps. I worked at the school full time for many years before becoming part-time 4 years ago having had children. I had no idea being part-time would throw up so many issues...and I know I'm not alone- friends who work in other professions frequently come across similar problems in their work.