1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part Time Timetable Query

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by parmisan, Apr 30, 2019.

1. parmisan

parmisan New commenter

Hello,

I have been working on a 0.7 FTE over 3 full days a week. Our school has 6 periods a day and a two week timetable and I have 4 frees over the two weeks.

For next year there is a lesson I normally teach that they are struggling to fit into the timetable. My Head has said it could go on another afternoon meaning I come in for part of a fourth day to keep my 0.7, or they can put it in on a day I’m already working and lose something else which takes me down to 0.6.

I’ve had a chat with my husband to try to decide what to do (for childcare) and he is querying how they want me to do the same hours I’m already doing (3 full days) but pay me less as they’re saying it’s 0.6 when I’ve been 0.7 this year, and I can’t answer him! My understanding was I lost a free to squeeze the 0.7 into a 0.6 timetable (I think?!), but my non-teacher husband’s take on it is that I’m currently working 3 full days but next year they want me to do an extra afternoon to get the same money I’m on now, which is correct but now I don’t understand how I’ve been doing 0.7 in three days? And is it right that I’ve been doing that?

Can anyone attempt to explain? Am I being really stupid here by not getting it?

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Surely 0.7 FTE would be more than 3 days a week - logically 3 days a week would be 0.6 (unless you were allowed to do your PPA at home on a different day)

border_walker likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't see how you are currently on 0.7 for 3 full days. Unless it's PPA on another day. Or unless the school days in the week aren't all the same length.

Are you on STPCD?

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My first reaction was that you were working all day on 3 days a week and the other 0.1 was PPA which you were allowed to take at home, but I then spotted free periods. Am I right in thinking that you are teaching 32 periods and getting 4 PPA every fortnight? That would be a fair 0.6 timetable under STPCD. So, the school could expect you to come in on another day to get your 0.7.

Perhaps you have been overpaid up until now. In which case, you might be best off it you just go along with one of the options you have been given and not say anything.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I agree with Piranha - it sounds like you've been getting a bonus until now. (Unless other staff get proportionally more frees - we're assuming they're working to the usual 10%, but you never know, there might be a school where people get more, in which case that should apply to part-timers proportionally.)