1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kerry_h_1981, Oct 22, 2015.

1. kerry_h_1981

kerry_h_1981 New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently on maternity leave after having my second child. I want to return to work part time (ideally 3 days) but am yet to have this agreed.
    Does anyone know how I calculate what my salary would be so I can work out if I can afford it?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations on that new baby! I hope you are managing to get some sleep at night. ;)

Well, three days is 60%, so you would get 60% of your salary. Calculating the Tax and N.I is a bit tricky, but it would overall work out that you would receive a bit more than 60% of what you used to have as take-home pay.

Don't forget child care costs, by the way.

Here is my advice article on how to apply for part time. Hope it's helpful.

Applying to go part-time - for (almost) any employee from 30 June 2014

Best wishes

3. kerry_h_1981

kerry_h_1981 New commenter

Thanks very much! I thought it was just the 60% and then decided that it can't be that easy to work out!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!

5. scattykatty

scattykatty New commenter

Actually I was pleasantly surprised with my first part-time pay packets: don't forget that (unless you have income from elsewhere) you'll pay a lot less tax on that 60%... Good luck! I can't remember the exact tax free allowance and it depends on tax credits I think - don't quote me - but it meant I only got taxed on about £5000 a year at 20% instead of £15000