1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-Time Teaching Posts?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by S.Stewart, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I am looking for a part-time secondary school teaching post as I have just given birth to my second child. My head has refused part-time work on the basis that part time staff cost the school more money and it is not possible to time table me without splitting the class between teachers. Now, I have been looking on the TES website and others since the start of the year and I have only come across one position for part time. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a part-time secondary school teaching position or where to look?

2. I am looking for a part-time secondary school teaching post as I have just given birth to my second child. My head has refused part-time work on the basis that part time staff cost the school more money and it is not possible to time table me without splitting the class between teachers. Now, I have been looking on the TES website and others since the start of the year and I have only come across one position for part time. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a part-time secondary school teaching position or where to look?

3. Newtwork. Make people aware you are seeking part-time work or find someone in a similar situation and present yourself as a job share. All the best.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

1) Contact local schools to let them know you exist, and your parameters for working (how many hours, whether you'd need it to be whole days). If they're a few hours down in your subject they may not advertise, but cover it with people working out of subject. But if they know there's someone out there, they might consider that option.
    2) Contact schools that advertise a full-time post and ask whether they'd consider a part-timer. They may not even need a full-timer, but have assumed that they'll get a better field for a full-time post. Responses I've had to that question have been: "definitely" - I got it in addition to a full-timer who could teach another subject; "it depends on what applications we get" - they got 0.6 applications for 2 posts; "only if you have a job-share partner and you apply together - I didn't, but the HoD was furious when he discovered they'd said that without consulting him - so it can be worth trying to contact the HoD as well as the head's PA!