1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time teaching and part time forest school?!!

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by juliagrahamhill, Jun 21, 2019.

1. juliagrahamhill

juliagrahamhill New commenter

Hi,

I am an NQT who has had a bit of a rough couple of years of severe illness and a not particularly nice first job in an SEND school.

In an attempt to claw some of my sanity and mental health back I am applying for part time teaching roles (still in SEND). I would also like to take on a forest school role or enabling work on the days that I wouldn't be teaching. Ideally I would do two days a week teaching and two days a week in the forest school/enabling.

Does anyone have experience of doing this kind of work split? I know I want to carry on teaching (I love it!) but the responsibility that comes with having a full time class is too overwhelming for me to consider at the moment. However, I am saving to buy a house with my partner so need a bit more of an income- this is where I thought forest school or enabling could come in!

I'd really appreciate any tips, guidance or people's experiences if they have been in a similar situation.

Thanks,
    Jules

2. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

Forest School is extremely popular at my son's school, and teachers are queueing up to train for it. The lead Forest School teacher has come up with some ideas that are very popular with senior management, such as offering weekly toddler's forest school sessions, as well as optional pre-school/nursery afternoon sessions. The 30 hours funding is not available at the nursery at my child's school, so it bumps up funds. So if you can get the training and then offer some innovative ideas that bump up funds then I'd say go for it.