1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time TA change of contracted days & inset days

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by sassy237, Jul 28, 2017.

1. sassy237

sassy237 New commenter

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me working out if I'm required to be paid inset days after school have changed my working pattern. School have changed my working pattern to 3 days on a Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. This means that all school inset days fall on my days that I'm not usually working. In the past insets have fallen on some of my working days(at least enough to cover the 3 day pro rata requirement. My contract states 39 weeks(no mention of additional inset days) and I've worked it out that I will be working my normal 3 days per week for 39 weeks of the school year(i.e. I'm not gaining any bank holidays). My question is am I entitled to ask for pay on the days I attend inset or a day off in lieu? I'm very reluctant to ask tbh so I would prefer to ask backed up by good information. Many thanks

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

My belief is that if you are paid for 39 weeks this covers inset, so you do 3 inset days even if they are not your usual work days as you are being paid for them.

3. sassy237

sassy237 New commenter

Because the inset days are all on days that I do not now work (as prescribed by my new working pattern) & in our local authority the academic year is 39 weeks long I will already be working 39 weeks x 3 days(117 days) which is all I am paid for. My thinking is that if I'm only contracted & paid for 117 days and I'm already working that full amount of days, any additional days I am asked to attend for inset/meetings/training would need to be paid or time off given in lieu???? When these inset days fell on my working days(as in previous years) then my paid working days. I'm slowly beginning to pluck up the courage to ask.

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Ok ours were 38 weeks with children and an additional week to cover inset. If you have 39 weeks with the children then you need to be paid for any inset days as you will be working 40 weeks. You need to ask if you have to attend the inset and if they say yes then you need to ask to be paid. I just told my employers after I reduced my days that as I would only work 4 of the 5 inset days and was there any they wanted me to do instead of others.

5. sassy237

sassy237 New commenter

Many thanks. I suppose I'm just thinking in a 'common sense' kind of way but others experiences, advice and knowledge is always a good help.

6. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

What happens if you have another job on Monday or Tuesday? You can't be in school for those days.