1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time - splitting the workload question

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jellybaby30, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to offer some advice. I have just secured a part time position (3 days a week) for when I return to work after Easter after maternity leave. This is for a job share in Year 2 and so I will be teaching 3 days a week and my job share will teach the other 2 days. However, having not jobshared before I was wondering how the workload is usually split (ie who plans for what?) Does each teacher plan for all subjects for only the days she teaches or do teachers take responsibility for planning certain subjects and split this between them? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

2. I've had two job shares and did it two different ways.
    One job I taught all the numeracy so I planned that and my partner planned the literacy as she taught that. We then planned for the subjects that we taught based on our timetable-which we devised so that we each taught our preferred subjects.
    The other job we discussed the following week and made notes then one week I'd write them up the following week my colleague did. This was quite nice as it meant once a fortnight my ppa time was freed up from planning and I could do assessments and prep of resources etc.

3. I too did the numeracy with my partner doing the literacy. This worked well. Teaching to your strengths for the rest of the curriculum is a good idea too if you can timetable it that way.
    Do watch out how your hours are distributed over the week. I ended up doing part of four days for my 0.5 so after stressful weeks it felt more like doing a full time job for half pay.