1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time split days and parents evenings

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by artyjulesb, Jul 17, 2018.

1. artyjulesb

artyjulesb New commenter

I am looking for advice I have been 0.6 for the past 8 yrs and have always worked the same 3 days.
    We are three days from the end of term and I was asked to see a member of SLT about my timetable, I have now a split day on my timetable two mornings over two days. I also will not be working on the afternoon of the day that all the parents evenings take place. I live 50mins from school so its not ideal and will have to re-arrange childcare. I have also started a course on my day off which I will have to cancel :(

What are my rights ? Should I contact my union? Does anyone have any experience of this?
    Thanks
    Jules

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If your contract doesn't specify the days (or at least "three days" rather than 0.6) then it could be difficult. Definitely talk to your union. I think there is some sort of "custom and practice" thing which might be appealed to when you've had the same arrangements for so long, but I've only come across it outside teaching, and I think it was more when the arrangements changed for a whole group of employees.

It's difficult to change a (secondary) timetable at this point, and I would guess that if there was a reasonably simple change that would solve things, they'd have done it. However it might still be worth a look at the timetable - it might turn out that swapping your year 10 for someone else's year 7 would sort it. The timetabler probably wouldn't do that without the HoD's agreement, so might not have considered it.

We've had a few cases like this on here over the years, but I'm not sure I can remember outcomes.

Parents evening when you only teach the morning: one of those grey areas - I don't know whether your union can offer any more advice on this - the rules only talk about days when you are not employed. If you're required to attend twice in one day, you might find you can at least claim petrol (used to be a rule in my LA). I've been in that position several times, having done five "bitty" timetables. I've always done them - I'm a core subject teacher, and if I didn't, then it would not be unreasonable for me to be asked to make alternative contact with the parents, eg phone-calls, so attending is easier! For some subjects, you might get away with "Mrs Arty is unable to be present, please write any questions you have on this form, and she will respond by e-mail" and not get too many to reply to.

The other thing to consider is mentioning that as childcare is likely to cost you more, and you'll have an extra day's travel, you'll be looking for jobs closer to home. Sometimes when they start to think about the possibility of having to recruit a replacement midyear, they realise that it might be worth trying to make the timetable tidier. However in your case the timetable is not that untidy, so they might not worry too much.

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Two mornings usually account for more hours than a full day. This is likely to be slightly over 0.6: it would be in our primary schools anyway. Ask for it to be recalculated for payroll purposes. You might feel a bit better if the pay is a little more. But yes, ask about timetable swaps first. It does seem unreasonable that this is so late in the term. A half term’s notice for changes in working time would be more reasonable.

DaisysLot likes this.
  4. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Something like this happened to an ex-colleague of mine, can’t remember exact details it was something like she worked MTW and had TH F off, when she did other non-teaching work.

Suddenly, without notice, she was told she had to do ( for example) M,W,F instead which was going to totally jigger up her life.

She found out that a certain notice period has to be given before changes to established working patterns and successfully appealed it.

Not sure WHERE she found this info, but she was reinstated to her original timetable....regional rep would probably be able to tell you straight away.

5. d43587

d43587 New commenter

A morning is 0.11 and an afternoon is 0.09 in my school.
    So two mornings would equate to longer than one day.
    Therefore they either need to pay you more and give you more PPA time or they need to think again.

6. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-teachers-pay-and-conditions

Teachers pay and conditions link above. Check out section 51.10 it says you may be required to carry out duties on days you do work whether you work part or all of day. NUT guidance says it must be reasonable request though. Link to that is in another thread I wrote a while ago - as I'm on my phone I'm unable to post a link. Will edit later to do so.

7. install

install Star commenter

Given the short notice and change of days at the last minute, I would go to the Union. Not to complain about the Parents Eves - but the stronger position of unfair notice to your working timetable.

How many years were you on the previiys days for ? Are their other part timers who have had last minute changes too? Do you have a change of School Timetabler?

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Pasted from the STPCD - You do need to read in conjunction with other paragraphs referred to.

1. 51.9. Subject to paragraph 51.10, no teacher employed part-time may be required to be available for work on any day of the week or part of any day of the week on which the teacher is not normally required to be available for work under their contract of employment (whether it is for the purposes of teaching pupils and performing other duties or for the sole purpose of performing other duties).
    51.10.Subject to paragraphs 51.6 and 51.11, a part-time teacher may be required to carry out duties, other than teaching pupils, outside school sessions on any day on which the teacher is normally required to be available for work (whether the teacher is normally required to be available for work for the whole of that day or for only part of that day).