1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time/Side job

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Jpatel02, May 26, 2019.

1. Jpatel02

Jpatel02 New commenter

Hi all,

I am interested in doing a side job whilst teaching, I know many people tutor.

Selling books - not really worth my time as you do not earn as much since they take commission.

Is there anything else?!

Look forward to hearing your ideas!

2. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Teaching can be all-consuming so it could be a good idea to do something different, but I would advise you to do something you enjoy to avoid getting worn down.

Exam marking is common but the pay rate is not great, though it does give you insights into the common mistakes made by students that can feed into your own teaching.

I did a few web designs and still (now retired) run a few sites. You can join sites for freelancers if you have digital skills but again you'll be up against many who are willing to work for very small amounts of money. (I'm sure there are sites for those with skills other than to do with computers but digital skills are some of the easiest to provide across the internet)

agathamorse likes this.
  3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Back in my early teaching days, I worked full time as a teacher and had a part time job working behind the bar at weekends in the local pub - I did this for about 4-5 years before leaving to focus on my new promotion at work. At the time, I was saving to purchase my first property so was working all hours to raise a deposit.

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I know that some TESSERs have had small side-line businesses which they have set up with a view to leaving teaching. They may have some ideas. As far as I am aware, this is usually a fairly long term thing, and you are planning a good three or four years in advance.
    I never had the energy to do a second job while I was teaching, though, apart from a little tutoring.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I know people who have done things like Bettaware catalogues and similar.
    Or hold those shopping parties where they get some kind of commission on what people buy.

6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I know many teachers who do this too- including Avon- but if you want to make ‘serious’ money doing it, you need to commit a lot of time to it, which most teachers do not have.

7. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Some people resell either on eBay or Amazon, though there are other places too. You mention books, some people buy books to sell on Amazon by FBA - Fulfilled By Amazon. You can download a scanning app to check books in charity shops etc to see the sales rank and how much they might sell for. If you have Instagram look for an account called @fbajourney. He's a PE teacher but spends his spare time searching for books. There are useful Youtube videos too. You might also find some part-time teaching work with the Open University - check their vacancies online.

8. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Frankly, if you are short of money, the best thing to do is to find some very basic shift work like shelf stacking. Or bar / restaurant work. It’s easy to find and although it pays a low hourly rate, it’s generally better than the more creative things you find online. They take up ages looking for opportunities and still pay buttons. You can spend an evening designing a book cover for someone on Fiver for - well, £5 - or you can do five hours of something basic and earn maybe £25 for it.

I think the problem with this approach is that no one would ever claim they was up dishes as a hobby. Feels a bit demeaning for a highly trained professional.

9. demiwilson6

demiwilson6 New commenter

Try working at events/festivals throughout the year. Not sure I am allowed to post their names, but a simple google search of ‘events staffing’ should come up with plenty. Obviously there’s more around in the summer months, and there’s a wide range of people working from students to retirees (is that a word?)

I’m still registered from my student days - but actually still enjoy it quite a lot. There’s no obligation to take the shifts, so you can still keep your weekends when exhausted. Im currently looking forward to working the bar at a take that concert on Saturday - for a probably higher hourly rate than I get standing in a classroom!