1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

part time school nursery - help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by teejay100000, Feb 28, 2011.

1. The children will cope. They won't even notice. It's only a nursery.

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Why has your school chosen to do this?

3. Oh dear! Many tears ago I worked in a private nursery which gave parents the choice of which days and sesions children attended, ensuring everyone had a go at topic work for the week became a huge tick sheet,rules, routines, friends they remembered. Parents were very good at keeping in touch out of setting and yes many children also attended other settings, but thye often attended with their classmates from our setting. Afterall there is a finite choice of where to go in any area.
    All I can say is good luck, the afternoon/morning would seem a better choice

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I run a toddler group, and the children have little difficulty remembering things from week to week - obviously there is less to remember, but they know what happens at snack time, and song time, and how to help clear up if their mums stay to help with that.
    I can see some advantages to halving the week rather than the days: firstly, afternoons-only can be very difficult for some families - for a friend, it would have ruled out taking her 2 year olds to any toddler groups, because the 3 year old would then be too tired for the afternoon (he still napped). Secondly, with many mums working part-time, childcare may be much easier and cheaper, assuming that they can request the right half of the week. Thirdly, it gives the family a couple of free days, eg for a day out, grandparents visiting, long weekend.

5. The children will cope I agree.

Although it's only a nursery comment is offensive. We do offer some educational value to children, this may come as a surprise to you.

6. I totally agree. It's only Nursery comment is very offensive. You obviously know nothing about Nursery?

7. Your comment is offensive... It is foul to hear you speak about your colleagues in such a way. Shame on you.

8. The 'only' word is offensive, I agree. However the children will cope with whatever is on offer. BUT will the staff feel they are optimising learning opportunities? I doubt it. Does that mean that chn should come to nursery full time ......