1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time role - two schools - Primary

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by sparrow2015, Nov 27, 2019.

1. sparrow2015

sparrow2015 New commenter

Hello

Returning to work after maternity leave, I initially wanted to work part time. However, I have found myself in a situation where I have secured a part-time role (beginning in January) and have been offered a second part time role at a different school. Both are for the same year group.

Has anyone had any experience of this before? I worry that the workload would be more than just working full time at one school as there would be 60 children, or is it the same as having one full time class?

Many thanks

2. shamat

shamat New commenter

Although I don't have direct experience of this situation, I have been a job share partner for 3 years now and I think what you are describing could be tough, particularly around times like report writing and parents evenings, plus extra curricular events such as Christmas festivities. Also, there may be complications around INSET days as they won't always be on your working days in a given school. You will also be managing 2 different sets of staff relationships; my job share partners and I have always communicated a lot outside of school hours; if this was doubled, I think I'd literally never be off duty!

sparrow2015 likes this.
  3. sparrow2015

sparrow2015 New commenter

Thanks for your response. I agree. I've decided it would be too much to handle and I think both classes would suffer as a result!

4. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

It might depend on whether they are both equal times though. I have had a member of staff who did 0.5 with me, plus 0.2 at another school. It worked well for her, and we benefitted from the INSET she did at the other school as well! Mind you - both schools have a similar ethos and the HTs got on well with each other!

5. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Part time equates to definitely more than the proportion you're paid for. I was two days a week last year, but expected to do half the planning, half the reports, mark half the tests, attend all the parents' evenings, plus all the moderation meetings as I was in Y6. Working part time also means sticking rigidly to a timetable so that you can hand over to the other person at precisely the right point; you don't have that luxury you have as a full time teacher of rolling a lesson on till the next day if it's going well. I would strongly advise against this unless the part-time roles are PPA cover or small group work.