1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time request

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Chica77, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I went back on 0.5 after my first child and am currently at the end of maternity leave number 2.
    I didn't fill in a form, but wrote a letter instead. They denied my request at first and i wrote a letter to appeal, and then the head changed his mind luckily.
    Have a look at this, there are 8 reasons listed that employers are supposed to give if they turn down a part time request, so make sure that you include something on your form that ensures they can't turn you down for these reasons!
    http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/rights-of-workers/contracts-of-employment/flexible-working.html
    Good luck!

2. Hey lohman sorry can't help right now but I'm in the same position and need to notify school formally (have already told them informally) of intentions to return PT. Haven't researched it fully yet as LO is only 14 weeks but where do you get said form from? Did your school inform you of this? Not sure if I need a form or just write a letter?
    Anyone lovely enough to share their draft letters or give us an idea of structure/content? Thank you heaps in advance xxx

3. I emailed the head to ask what the possibility would be and I was told that I have to fill in the form - which I got from the personnel person at school. I think some schools may accept a letter - but you would need to check with your school. I emailed initially as the NUT say to approach school informally first to find out your options. That didn't work for me though as the head did not give anything away and just told me to fill in the form so they could formally consider it. We have a few part time staff and I'm worried that we may not be offered full days (timetabling). If that is the case then I will have to return full time as I don't see the point (for me) in half days.
    I think you may be able to get a draft letter from the NUT if your school will accept this.
    Going to try and do mine this weekend as the sooner it's in, the better. Schools are starting timetabling/options etc. Will let you know what I come up with!!!

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you a copy of the letter i wrote when I applied to go part time.

5. This is really a process which should be done by negotiation. A couple of things you say sound as if this is not really the case at your school. Why do you need to fill in a specific form? I'm sure that in employment law a letter should suffice. Also, why do you only have 'one shot' at applying? I think you probably need to talk to someone from your union just to check would you are entitled to. When I went back on 0.5 in September I approached informally and then wrote a very short formal letter. Then we had a discussion about days and so forth. I don't think it is your job to look at implications, surely this is the role of your manager.

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

You're only allowed to apply for part time once in a year. You have the right to appeal if your request is denied.
    You have probably been lucky and work in an understanding school. I know several people who have had to go back full time because their part time request has been denied.
    By law, you have to write a formal letter (or obviously now fill in a form) and on the union websites they suggest you include how your part time will affect the school, and also that you suggest ways to overcome it. Not fair maybe, but part time is not a right. You are entitled to request it; they do not have to agree to it. However, they do have to give good reasons for declining your request.