1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

part time request or resignation in the same letter

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by haaff, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hi
    Please could you advise me. I am currently on maternity leave and would like return to work part time from Sept next year. I have talked to my school and they have told me to put it in writing but have hinted that it is likely i will get it. If my request is rejected then i have decided that i will be resigning but i would need to complete 13 weeks in order to keep my maternity pay which i would do after half term in June. My question is this: Can i put my part time request from Sept and say that if this is not acceptable then my return to work date is June in the same letter? The reason for this is because i need to give 8 weeks notice if i want to return in June and my school have 28 days in which to reply which means i may not be able to give the 8 weeks notice. And when do i send my resignation letter? I hope this makes sense.

2. Hi
    Please could you advise me. I am currently on maternity leave and would like return to work part time from Sept next year. I have talked to my school and they have told me to put it in writing but have hinted that it is likely i will get it. If my request is rejected then i have decided that i will be resigning but i would need to complete 13 weeks in order to keep my maternity pay which i would do after half term in June. My question is this: Can i put my part time request from Sept and say that if this is not acceptable then my return to work date is June in the same letter? The reason for this is because i need to give 8 weeks notice if i want to return in June and my school have 28 days in which to reply which means i may not be able to give the 8 weeks notice. And when do i send my resignation letter? I hope this makes sense.

3. Are you sure you need to give 8 weeks notice to return? Under the STP&C you only need to give 3 weeks. I would try to avoid setting an ultimatum of accept this for Sept or I will leave. Remember that your employer has to give a strong business reason why they cannot accommodate part time work for you. Do you know why they are likely to reject it? If so, outline in your letter how you could make it work for them.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You only need to give 3 weeks notice of your intent to return post maternity leave. I would keep your letters separate - in the first instance make your part time working request - the sooner the school has that to consider, the better your chance of it being accepted.

5. Thanks for your replies. It is definitely 8 weeks advance notice for me. It is formally written in the letter from school when I went on maternity leave. I don't know whether I should risk it and keep it separate. They have told me informally that I'll get part time and I can't imagine that they would go back on their word. Would they?

6. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Please do not write and ask to go part time, and if not granted then accept my resignation!
    Address going part time first.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you get what you want in p/t working from September, you should not give September as your 'return to work' but the first day of the summer holidays. You will then go back to full pay from that date in July and will then transfer to your p/t pay from 1st September.
    Be clear about what you want from a part-time contract. With childcare to arrange, you will no doubt want your contract to specify certain days of the work in work. Some people fall foul of lax P/t contracts that simply specify that you are 0.5, for example. That could mean being timetabled 5 part days per week or 4 days per week when what you want is two full days and one half day. If the days are not specified at the contract stage, the school could change tham the following year and your nursery or chilminder might not have places on the alternative days.