1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time request letter

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by patto89, Apr 14, 2019.

1. patto89

patto89 New commenter

Hi,

I have decided to put in a request for part-time hours as I am really struggling with the workload of full-time teaching which is affecting my mental health. I am writing my letter to governors but I'm unsure of how to explain this. I used the template (found here: https://www.tes.com/blog/guide-going-part-time) I know I don't have to put in exactly why I want to reduce my hours but I feel like it would help..any advice you can give would be a huge help!!

The part I am struggling with is:
    "As you know, I am fully committed to my role as class teacher at xxx School. This request gives the school the advantage of retaining my proven skills, expertise and commitment while recognising my need to balance my personal and working life. I am aware that part time teachers need to ensure good communication, whether it be with a job share or other members of staff. I would still be able to attend parents’ evenings or meet with parents during the school week and have built up great relationships with staff through effective communication. I thoroughly enjoy my job and work extremely hard in and out of school hours which would be maintained on a part time contract.

I am requesting to change my work pattern to ensure that I can give the same dedication that I have always to my job whilst looking after my own wellbeing. I am willing to be flexible and help school wherever needed if my request is approved as I always have done."

I'm not happy with how it sounds - I don't want to come across as if I moaning about work because I do genuinely love the job! I'd really appreciate any advice!

2. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I would EMPHASIS the benefits to the school whilst also not going on about your needs. Remember, you are a teacher and perceived SOLELY as a commodity and not as a human being with needs. Also be very, very careful about stating you will be willing to attend meetings and parent evenings because you could end up being in school FIVE days a week to attend an hour's departmental meeting, which once completed you'll be met with an SLT stating, 'Oh Pat, can I have a minute!' when on the way to the car park and when the objective is to be in only 1-4 days per week.

Have you covered the bit about WHO is going to do your job when you not in school with the school? Will they have recruit someone for those hours? Have you come up with suggestions as to how this could work? The best way to go forward with this, is to think of all the factors as to why they would say no, and answer them in a cost effective way.

And good luck, I hope you get this and I applaud you for looking out for your self.:)

3. patto89

patto89 New commenter

Thank you so much for this.
    In terms of being asked to do things outside my working days, we have a a few part-time staff already and know from their experience that the school is very fair and only asks them to attend parents' evenings/meetings on their worked days.

As for the who - I'm not sure who would do the job but I have put in some suggestions. We have a job share going off on maternity and another potential one moving year group to take on management roles so I could maybe fill those roles but I have no idea what they have lined up. If not, they would need to recruit a 0.4 teacher - we had an advert out recently for 0.4 maternity which attracted no applications. Do you have any suggestions on how I could say that they would be able to recruit a 0.4? My contract is permanent so I don't know if this makes any difference.

Sorry for all the information - I feel very out of my depth and don't know they best way to go about it!

4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Hi Pat, re the school being fair regarding who attends meetings etc. that is a bonus, plus there are already a few part timers. :) However the thorny issue of suggesting they attempt to recruit a 0.4 is going to be difficult although there are tens of thousands of teachers, literally, who would love to do this post. How do I know? There are over 320,000 qualified teachers of working age not in the classroom and a high percentage of these are older/parent teachers wanting part time roles who can not find a post and who have been out of the classroom for ages and who schools don't want to recruit and get up to speed. So it's going to be difficult. You could suggest a returner, but that might be met with derision from SLT, but the school knows it going to cost loads to pay for the ad in the TES Jobs and with agencies, and attract few applications that they would want, and there is also the double admin time and costs of two salaries i.e. pensions, holidays, sickness etc.

The truth is it's simpler to work one teacher to the bone but the added benefits of having two teachers who are happy, healthy and more energetic doesn't seem to been understood by schools.

I hope someone else puts their two cents in as it's doable.

5. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Has the head advised you to write the letter to the Govs?

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If your school uses STPCD, then the school can insist part time teachers attend meetings on their normal working days, as long as their directed hours are within the limit, and cannot insist that they attend on any other day. So, your school is not being fair, it is following the rules. You letter seems to suggest that you will go beyond this and attend meetings on other days, which I would not advise.

I would suggest getting union advise on your formal letter, as you only get one chance a year.

7. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

It might also be worth considering in your letter saying how flexible you can be, or not. It’s clear from what you have said you want 0.6 - is that definite or would you take 0.5? Do you need full days (sorry I’m unclear as to whether you have childcare issues as well or just need to not be full time). If you are primary are you flexible about the year group? Would you be a PPA teacher?

Piranha likes this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Be specific about what days you want to work too.

If you want say 0.6 but only want to be in school 3 days per week then you must say precisely that in your letter. If you just say '0.6' the head could agree and then spread your 0.6 over 5 days a week, a morning here, an afternoon there etc.

strawbs and Piranha like this.