1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time positions availability

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by k1tsun3, Mar 20, 2018.

1. k1tsun3

k1tsun3 New commenter

I'm currently on maternity leave, but I've resigned from my current post as it's too long of a commute and would make it difficult to ensure I could collect my son from nursery on time. It's an alternative provision with working hours 9-5. With a 1.5 hour commute each way, I doubt I'd make it to collect my son at 6pm. I could've gone part-time there without any issues except the finishing time, but now I'm having to look for a new job. I haven't seen many part-time secondary English positions come up for Sept. With Easter right around the corner, I would assume that schools would have these jobs posted by now. I prefer 3 days per week, but for the right post, I would happily commit to 4 days. I'd like to be part-time for at least a year, maybe 2.

If you've spent time looking for a part-time perm post, how long did it take you? I guess I'm just worried as we've already registered our son with a nursery and I'd like to know I have a job to go to in Sept. Thanks.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

September posts are often not advertised until after Easter, probably especially part-time. Staff have until the end of May to resign, so schools won't know about some vacancies for a while yet. Even if they know they have a part-time vacancy, I can imagine them holding off on advertising if they know they have any other staff applying for new posts or potentially asking to go part-time. It would be too annoying to have appointed a part-timer only to discover that actually they need a full-timer.

Also, if you see full-time posts advertised, it's worth contacting the school to ask if they'd consider a part-time application. It may be that actually full-time would take them slightly over-staffed in English, or that there's some spare hours in another department which could be used for English, and that they'd be willing to consider you. Even if not, if they subsequently have a part-time request from an existing teacher, they might remember your enquiry.

3. k1tsun3

k1tsun3 New commenter

Thanks. I was considering contacting school advertising for full time. I'll defnintley do that.

4. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

If you live in the West Midlands, look on WM Jobs- there was a part-time secondary English post on there within the last few weeks.

5. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

Definitely apply for full time jobs and in your covering letter explain that you only want part time.

I suggest doing it this way as if you ring and ask you will rarely speak to the person that could actually consider part time and also by applying you get to show them what you offer in your application. If they like the sound of you they may then look if they could accomodate you part time... this worked for me.

Jen26 likes this.