1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bgjwh06, May 5, 2019.

1. bgjwh06

bgjwh06 New commenter

Hi, I going to part time this September in a year 2 class. How do other part time teachers split the planning. I will be working 3 days and the other teacher 2.
    We won't get PPA together and just wondered what other people do. Thank you! Looking forward to hearing your ideas .

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. All of our jobs shares have joint PPA session.

I guess it just means that you and your jobshare partner are going to have to ensure you share lots of effective communication via email and maybe telephone. This will obviously have to happen outside of the teaching day, so is going to involve at least some work in your own time...

Not ideal for anyone...

MsOnline likes this.
  3. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything New commenter

Hello, you might want to put this in the part-time section. I work in a 2-form entry, and both classes are a 2day/3day split. We split all planning 4 ways, eg. one does Eng, one does maths, one does Sci, one does RE etc. I don't particularly like this as it means that the 2 day a week person has to do flipcharts and resources across 5 whole days if they're doing maths/Eng. I would prefer to split teh subjects a bit more cleanly, for example the 2 day a week person do reading comp/spelling and grammar whilst the 3 day person does creative writing, the 2 day a week person doing shape/data etc while the 3 day a weeker does number. That way you get to teach what you plan. Every school is different though, and you have to find what works for you.

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

When I did a class share we split according to our strengths and interests.
    We shared the literacy and PE. My job share did the numeracy work in maths and I did the topics_weight, shape etc etc. She did history, art and RE. I did geography, science and music. We didn't have joint planning time. We met over cake and coffee one evening at the start of each half term. It worked well.

5. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

Depends on the school too. If you’re a 2 form entry school, the other year group teacher might plan literacy for example, and then you and your partner split maths (always easier to split that literacy).

Then afternoons, just split it evenly and plan for the days you’re in. Try and split the no marking lessons like PE and computing fairly. Alternate science each half term

6. h_yates

h_yates New commenter

We are three form entry. 2 classes have FT teachers the other is a job share ( I do 2 days my job share 3). We treat the job share pair as one person. So planning split 3 ways. I still seem to get more than 1/6 though ! X

7. alexdoughty

alexdoughty New commenter

I work 3 days and my job share 2.. Also no shared PPA, so we have completely separated out planning so that we teach separate topics in literacy and maths for example I have just taught fraction while the other teacher has taught money. It works really well for us - we just have to get together for assessment. We do this all topic stuff too, so I teach science, RE and topic while the other does the rest. Sometimes we have to mix things up to fit everything in, but it works for us.

Communication is key!