1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time PGCE Bath Spa

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by helgawb, Feb 17, 2011.

1. I've just accepted a place on the early years/primary part time route PGCE at Bath Spa, but am really worried about finances. I was obviously relying on the bursary to help me through two years (20 months actually), but now that is gone don't know what I will do. I needed the part-time route because I have three children, two of which are at school but youngest at home, so I was going to use childcare for two days of pgce and be with child other days, except for placements of course, when full-time childcare. But I hadn't realised just how little funding you get with part-time route - just fees paid and then something like £265 a year! I wish I had gone for full-time now, as I would be getting the maintenace grant and maintenance loan, ie about £6000, and child-care. As long as it is means tested, I don't understand why part-time pgce funding is not proportional?

2. I've just accepted a place on the early years/primary part time route PGCE at Bath Spa, but am really worried about finances. I was obviously relying on the bursary to help me through two years (20 months actually), but now that is gone don't know what I will do. I needed the part-time route because I have three children, two of which are at school but youngest at home, so I was going to use childcare for two days of pgce and be with child other days, except for placements of course, when full-time childcare. But I hadn't realised just how little funding you get with part-time route - just fees paid and then something like £265 a year! I wish I had gone for full-time now, as I would be getting the maintenace grant and maintenance loan, ie about £6000, and child-care. As long as it is means tested, I don't understand why part-time pgce funding is not proportional?