1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time permanent v short term contract in 'nice' school

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by miss freckle, Jan 19, 2012.

1. miss freckle

miss freckle New commenter

The title says it all really. Am loathe to lose even part-time permanency (I do supply in the same school for the rest of the week so have a full-time timetable) but no guarantee if I'll be needed at the end of each year. Possible short-term contract in a high-achieving school which I'd relish the challenge of, rather than the social work of where I am. But, I don't know that the grass will be greener and I get on with my current dept, in spite of differences of opinion and character... Dilemma!

2. miss freckle

miss freckle New commenter

The title says it all really. Am loathe to lose even part-time permanency (I do supply in the same school for the rest of the week so have a full-time timetable) but no guarantee if I'll be needed at the end of each year. Possible short-term contract in a high-achieving school which I'd relish the challenge of, rather than the social work of where I am. But, I don't know that the grass will be greener and I get on with my current dept, in spite of differences of opinion and character... Dilemma!

3. A lot depends on other factors. Do you NEED to have a full time salary? Do you want the challenge of a new kind of school? Would it enhance your professional development? Is this important to you? If the short term contract wasn't extended how much would that matter to you? How likely are you to get another job? All these are questions only you can answer. Do so and it may prompt you in one direction or the other. For what it's worth I've found that you more often regret the moves you DON'T make than the ones you do. Even if they prove to be wrong long term.