1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time or full time GTP Primary?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by SEH456, Feb 18, 2011.

1. I have been offered a GTP Primary place to start in September 2011
    which is great, but I am unsure as to whether or not to go for full time
    or part time. I have three children who will be 10, 7 and 10 months
    when I start the course. They have a lot of after school activities and
    homework which I help with and I do not think I will be able to be a
    great teacher or a great mum if I go full time, but then again would it
    be better to just try and get it all done in the one year? I did my
    degree full time and worked part time when the eldest two were younger
    and managed to come out with a first class.
    Has anybody done a
    part time GTP or done it with children who can offer my any advice or an
    insight into what awaits, such as how much time is usually spent
    teaching, how much help there is from your mentors with planning and
    assessments, etc and how much non contact and time at uni there is?

2. I have been offered a GTP Primary place to start in September 2011
    which is great, but I am unsure as to whether or not to go for full time
    or part time. I have three children who will be 10, 7 and 10 months
    when I start the course. They have a lot of after school activities and
    homework which I help with and I do not think I will be able to be a
    great teacher or a great mum if I go full time, but then again would it
    be better to just try and get it all done in the one year? I did my
    degree full time and worked part time when the eldest two were younger
    and managed to come out with a first class.
    Has anybody done a
    part time GTP or done it with children who can offer my any advice or an
    insight into what awaits, such as how much time is usually spent
    teaching, how much help there is from your mentors with planning and
    assessments, etc and how much non contact and time at uni there is?

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

First do check with your uni provider that p/t is an option. TDA funding is usually for academic years and p/t would obviously extend over more than one year.

4. Yes, there is definitelly a part time option with my provider, but this hasn't been elaborated on yet as I have only just received the offer and there is still no confirmation of funding.

5. I am a full time primary GTP student at the moment. I have two daughters aged 7 and 9. Like you I strive to be a good mum and a good teacher. I feel I am able to do both successfully. However, I have a supportive network around me. My husband has taken on many of the household jobs and I know my mum is only a phone call away if I need her. My main school and second school experience are schools that value a home school life balance, which is very important. There are students on my course that are at school all hours. I would therefore say that is important to find the right school for you. As far as the studying and planning at home goes, I am very disciplined on when I work and for how long. Many of my younger friends at uni ask how I manage it and I say that I don't have the luxury of time that they have. When you don't have the time, you learn to manage your time much better. Full time has worked for me and would be feeling very unmotivated at the moment if I didn't know the end was in sight. My advice is, if you have the support at home and a supportive school, go for it and get it over and done with ASAP.

6. Thank you so much for giving me an example of a positive GTP experience. Whenever I have looked up insights into training on the GTP it all seems to be horror stories of working 18 hour days and having a nervous breakdown! I understand what you are saying about younger students having the luxury of time. I did my degree at the age of 29 when my children were 6 and 3 and I was extremely organised because I had to be. I managed to get a first class degree and I think it is because when you have commitments and have to work at certain times, you manage your time more effectively. The school I work in is excellent and the Headteacher is in her thirties with a young family and therefore very supportive towards staff with families. My husband works long hours and is unlikely to chip in much with the children and housework, but my mum and mother-in-law are local and are always willing to help out when they can.
    Would you suggest I go for it full time then? I am concerned about the fact that my baby son will not have me around all the time but I wonder if I were to go part time if I would just spend my days off working anyway?
    Thanks again for your help.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Do double check to be sure!

8. Yes i would say go for full time and just get it over and done with. It is nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. Good luck whatever you decide.

9. I did GTP last year - I was 22 and lived at home, I lost all sense of perspective and work/life balance. I felt guilty all the time , thought I had no time to do anything other than work and ended up doing things I really didnt need to do and rushing to get the essentials done. I relied on my older and wiser GTP friends who had families etc to give me a reality check and show me that its all about being strict with yourself - work hard when you are working(if you have a study pt everything in there and don't let it take over your car/front room/kitchen/play room etc) and stop completely when you are having family/me time. In the holidays set aside days to work and days to play, but don't spend the whole holiday faffing with work. Anyway, the message i'm trying to send is that the GTP is intense and having something more important (kids) gives you a sense of perspective and also a motivation (it will all be worth it in the end!). Also, and very importantly, the NQT year is much easier and you have so much more control!

Good luck!! E