1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time NQT

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by raynukaa, Mar 4, 2020.

1. raynukaa

raynukaa New commenter

Hello all,
    I am a science SCITT trainee. I want to know about part time opportunities for NQTs. Can I bring this up in the interview even if it is a full time vacancy? Someone suggested not to mention it in the interview and instead ask them nicely once they offer the job. Is this acceptable??? And If I do so, Is the school that offered the job liable to give me part time???

Thanks in advance
    R

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Once you are in a job, you are entitled to ask for flexible working, but they can refuse if they have good business reasons. If you are willing to do the first year full-time, and make the request for the next year, that might work. (Requests for changes mid-year are going to be rather easier to refuse.)

If you're only really interested in part-time, then I think it is best to contact the school when they advertise, and ask whether they will consider a part-time application. I've done that, and responses varied between "no", "yes", "depends on who else applies", "no but we'll be advertising a part-time post next week" and "only if you apply jointly with a job-share partner". I think it's always worth asking; they may have an existing member of staff asking about going part-time, or they may need slightly less than full-time anyway, or there may be someone else interested in part-time too. Asking in advance gives them a chance to think about it, and to work out whether they can shuffle people around a bit (eg if somebody teaches a bit of maths or PE as well as science).

If you get offered a job and then ask about part-time, I think it's likely to be a straight no unless they are already well aware that the full-time post will make them overstaffed in science. They've just held their interviews; they don't want to have to hold another round.

Lalad likes this.
  3. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

If I were a headteacher, I'd be pretty annoyed if I gave someone an interview for a full time post and they asked for part-time at the interview. I'd say it would be better to ask if they would accept a part-time application right at the start.

bmouthboyo and strawbs like this.