1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-time NQT

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by anon3379, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am a little confused about what pay to expect in a part-time role as an NQT. As an NQT I believe It would be normal to be paid at M1 for a 90% time-table. Working part-time should I therefore expect to be paid for the percentage of a full-time-table, or the percentage of a 0.9 NQT timetable?

I hope that makes sense!

FM

2. You wil be paid pro-rata on whatever pay point you are appointed (invariably M1). If you teach half-time, you'll be on 0.5 = 50%. Three days a week = 0.6 = 60%.

0.9 seems weird - I presume this is 4.5 days a week?

3. Hi FM

As e-Luddite says, part timers are paid for the percentage of a full time teacher's work (contact time) that they do.

However you are also an NQT, so you have 10% less contact time than a normal part time teacher. One way to look at it is to work out your percentage of a 0.9 NQT timetable as you suggested (remember that if you are comparing to an actual NQT, they may get extra minutes of PPA if their allocation does not fit easily into 30 min slots, and I think that assemblies and non-teaching tutor times are not included - but I may be wrong).

The extra complication is that you would presumably start at M1 for the first academic year of your employment. In the second academic year you would move up to M2, though you would still be an NQT (because you were working part time, and could not have completed the equivalent of a years NQT work). When you complete your NQT "year", you presumably will be asked to increase your timetable to 100% of your contracted hours (because you do not get the 10% reduction for being an NQT any more), but if this does not coincide with the start of an academic year, your salary will not change.

I'm not sure if this has helped or hindered....

Liz

4. Hi
    Still a little confused! Am not sure I explained properly.
    Usually an NQT will be paid a full-time wage for 90% timetable (due to the 10% reduction in contact time for being newly qualified). However, if the post is 0.7 - would that be paid at 70% of regular pay (0.7/1.0) OR the percentage it works out at with respect to an NQT timetable (0.7/0.9)? I hope this makes sense to someone!

Phrased another way, I would be paid a full-time wage if my timetable increased by just 20%, but being on 0.7 hours, should I expect my pay to actually be docked by 30%?

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You use your contract time to calculate your teaching timetable, not the other way round!
    If you are employed on 0.5, you will get 50% of the pay of a full-timer.
    The timetable for a standard 0.5 teacher should then be 50% of that of a full-timer at their school
    An NQT would then use that last calculation to work out their timetable by deducting 10% for their NQT time.
    Directed hours for a full-timer are 1265 per year (pro-rata for part-timers). Directed Time covers the school day (minus the unpaid lunch break which is your time to do with as you please ... even leaving the premises) + meetings, open days/evenings, parents' evenings, INSET etc.
    Part timers can only be made to attend their contract percentage of after school meetings etc and only on the days when they are timetabled to work. Anyextra meetings etc that they are asked to attend (+ those on non-timetabled days) should incur extra pay at daily supply rates.
    You can, of course, have two p/t jobs which is why you can't be made to attend meetings etc at one school on days when they don't employ you - another school would have the right to require your attendance on those days or you might have other work of domestic committments.