1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

part time NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lizziec, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hi mkitson

I'm not an expert, but did complete my NQT as a part timer. However, I fear your information is correct - I think you need to do the minimum of a full time term so that you get to the next report point when you stop work at a particular school. There is a provision for counting hours working in two places at once, but this presumably doesn't apply to your term at 0.6.

Liz

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Or, if your contract had been extended by another few weeks, the 0.6 you'd already done would have meant you could have got a whole term's induction.

3. There are a few things here. First of all did you work for an entire term, but only for 3 days per week (0.6fte)? I assume you don't mean 0.6 hours - i.e. 36 mins. If so then you should have been registered with the LA as a NQT on induction if the job you were doing was a teaching post - that is it was not as a cover suprevisor or TA or technician - was your contract as a teacher and were you paid on the QTS scale as a teacher (pro rata)? If so then it should have counted towards induction.
    What may have happened is that the school did not register you with the LA as a NQT. If so then even though all your work should qualify, the LA has the right to not count it as you were not registered with them before you stated the job (or soon after). Time that otherwise would be counted as induction cannot be backdated according to the statutory guidance.
    Ask the LA for the reason why the time cannot be counted. If you were registered with them, then the only reason for rejecting this is that they feel that the job you were employed to do did not allow you to carry out the duties that a normal teacher does - so the post was deemed to be daily supply, cover work or TA work without regular contact with the same classes and no assessment, reporting, planning and delivery that a normal teacher would carry out. This is why cover supervisor work does not qualify for induction. That your school provided a mentor, carroed out observations etc. does not in itslef qualify you for induction. Only the LA can decide if a post qualifies for induction.
    Ask if they are counting this time as supply work as it will have started your 16 months on supply counting down (that is if it had not already started with other supply work carried out previously).
    James