1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part-Time NQT?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by helene_567, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Hi there,
    I was just wondering if anyone on here had conducted their NQT year as part of a job share. This is something I am considering doing and I was wondering what the pros/cons were - apart from it taking 2 years or so to complete! I am unsure whether this would be a way to ease into the teaching profession or if it would be best just to go for it!
    Thank you :)

2. If you have a good working relationship with your job share partner it can be easier.
    If there isn't a good relationship it can make things very very difficult.

3. I'm currently doing my NQT as part of a job share. I work 40% over 5 afternoons.
    My husband is also a teacher and often works 50 -60 hours a week. As we have 2 primary aged children, I felt very strongly that one of us still needed to be there for them. Working 40% means that I can get the vast majority of my school work done in the mornings before I go in to teach. I do still stay late a couple of nights a week and occasionally I do have to work in the evenings at home, but compared to most NQT's my evening, weekend and holiday work is minimal.
    Is also means that reports and parent's consultations are shared. I faced my first consultation with an experienced teacher sitting next to me. What a blessing!
    There are downsides. P/t teachers are invariably expected to work more hours than they are paid for, but this is largely dependent on your head. It can also be hard to keep up with events in school as you are not there for all of the meetings.
    In terms of work/life balance I think part time for an NQT is a very good option.

4. Hi Thumbalina
    I too feel the same way (two young children - one due to go to Primary as I start my NQT year!). Did you find it difficult to find part-time work?
    I would also tend to agree that being expected to do more can be the nature of PT work - I certainly found that working as an engineer.

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

How easy is it to get a job share? I've just got a few teaching hours in a local Uni and am worrying if it will be possible to get a perm secondary teaching job that will work with this... x

6. loranp

loranp New commenter

I'm a secondary NQT and I work part time 0.5. I'm only doing this because MFL jobs were scarce last summer and one of the schools I did a placement in offered me the 0.5 job. I love the school and I really wanted to work here, so I agreed. I'm lucky that I have a dedicated hour every fortnight with my mentor and she's fantastic. I do miss out on the things that the school ITT coordinator does because he scheduled the sessions for a Wednesday and that's my day off.
    I've found it great, I'm really supported by the school and it does make the workload more manageable. I think I'm a lot less stressed than my friends who are full-time NQTs. There are cons, for example I've stayed behind unpaid to help with open evenings etc and I have to do two parents' evenings in the next few weeks during what should be my days off, but things like that do come with the job.
    Obviously the main downside is that it will take me two years to complete my induction but I'm hoping to have some more hours next year.