1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time NQT advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hollybays, Dec 10, 2011.

1. At the end of my studies I was quickly offered a supply job covering the last half term in a local school, which I was thrilled about! They then offered me a term of my NQT covering a maternity leave which again I snapped up. They have asked me to stay on at the school running intervention sessions each morning in SAT preparation. Obviously this will only count as 0.5 and I'm only contacted until May.
    Could you give me any advice on how I could go about finding work for afternoons? Would an agency be interested, or be able to offer me supply? Or would I be best sending a personal statement to schools direct?

2. At the end of my studies I was quickly offered a supply job covering the last half term in a local school, which I was thrilled about! They then offered me a term of my NQT covering a maternity leave which again I snapped up. They have asked me to stay on at the school running intervention sessions each morning in SAT preparation. Obviously this will only count as 0.5 and I'm only contacted until May.
    Could you give me any advice on how I could go about finding work for afternoons? Would an agency be interested, or be able to offer me supply? Or would I be best sending a personal statement to schools direct?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on impressing the school! It's great thet they have asked you to stay on - make sure that you emphasise this in any job applications from now on.
    I'm not going to be much help here, I'm afraid . . . I think it will be very hard indeed.
    I much doubt if they would be interested - there will be very little demand for afternoons only, especially if it has to be near to your current job for you to get there.
    You could try, but I don't think there will be any demand for afternoons only . . .
    I'm sorry, this isn't much help. You might consider after-school playgroups or homework clubs as possible jobs, so try the Local Authority website.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars