1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Part time Job while doing PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by danniebear, May 26, 2011.

1. Is it possible to hold a part time job 5-10 hours a week basically 1 or 2 shifts while doing a pgce? I think I'm going to need to do this to help fund my way through the PGCE. I know people say your very busy but there must be sometime? I'm used to having to be organised and up early and late nights. I'm just wondering if anyone else is going to have to do this. Where I work is very flexible though and is a laugh, so it would be chill out time too to an extent.

2. Hi,

I managed to have a weekend job for most of my PGCE course (started in late October) and worked between 4 and 8 hours per week. Sometimes it was hard, but good organisation and planning in advance combatted any issues with time that may have arisen.

3. FWIW I've just completed a 15 day Student Associate Scheme placement and I'd say 'no', you won't have any time (or energy) free.
    The SAS doesn't require someone to carry out any of the paperwork duties of a teacher, nor require all the lesson preparation steps, all of which you'll be completing, whilst writing essays, etc.
    Look back over other posts on here, you'll find my comments resonate with what other people have said before.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I've found that while you're doing the uni parts of the PGCE you do have a reasonable amount of free time and energy, at least in comparison to when you're going the placement. While on placement you're essentially working a full time job, with the extra pressures of uni assignments, PGCE paperwork, extra detailed plans and evaluations of every lesson you teach (teachers do a lot of this in their head but as a PGCE student you have to write it all down...), and the pressures of being in a new environment doing a job that's also new to you. It is possible to work a part time job as well, but you may well wish you didn't have to go to work at the end of a challenging day in the classroom and a long meeting after school.

5. I have to earn some money from somewhere as I have been the main wage earner in our household for the past 10 years.
    I didn't want to tie myself to set shifts as I knew some weeks would be heavier going than others so I looked into Party Plan businesses, after a lot of research - looking at various party plan catalogues for prices/saleability etc (and market research - asking everyone I knew which products they would buy from me!!) I chose a Cosmetics company that doesn't have high street stores (hence people can only buy it via me or my website!!), that doesn't require me dropping 50 books through peoples doors then spending days trying to collect them in again, but it does require me to spend around 2-3 hours per party, doing a skincare/makeup demo and then chatting to the guests and taking orders.
    I started it in March as I didn't want to be launching a business as I was starting my PGCE, and it's been really sucessful, at the moment I am only doing 1-2 parties per month (my choice as I am trying to 'save' some of them for later in the year for when my income stops) and I have earnt around £50 per party, the one I did last week I earnt nearly £100 for 3 hours 'work'.
    I can't really call it work as I am genuinely loving it one of my friends listening to me rave on about how much fun it is, how great the products are, how easy it is to do well within the company and how many free products I get asked me if I was still going to do my PGCE or whether I was going to run this business full time!! (I will of course do my PGCE it's what I've wanted for years - but at least I know I can get a fab income if jobs are hard to come by when I finish!!)
    Anyway, that turned into a mini-essay and my main point was "Consider party-plan businesses as you can fit the hours in to suit you"....see I can be concise when I want to be! LOL!