1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

part-time job advertised before full-time job has officially been made redundant?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by froggy29400, May 4, 2011.

1. Hi
    Firstly I'd like to say I am working closely with my regional Union rep, but I haven't had some answers from them yet so I'm asking for further opinions here.
    My school is going through redundancy procedures, and my post has been selected. The necessary reduction of hours is about half a post, so once I've been officially dismissed there will be a vacancy of about 0.5 FTE.
    Yesterday my headteacher asked me if I wanted to accept the reduction of hours (and therefore avoid redundancy). The question seemed fair but the reason behind it seemed dodgy. They want to advertise the 0.5 FTE next week "to meet recruitment deadlines". However I haven't yet been formally dismissed (this won't happen until mid-May, and then there's an appeal procedure in June) I've been asked to confirm ASAP (at the latest start of next week) if I was interested in a reduction of hours, otherwise they will go ahead with advertising the post.
    This seems weird, my redundancy could still be overturned, so how can they advertise a post that doesn't yet exist, in a climate of redundancies? Also for obvious reasons a reduction of hours implies a lot of personal (financial!) changes that need to be looked into before I agree to it.
    Any opinion?
    Thanks

2. Hi
    Firstly I'd like to say I am working closely with my regional Union rep, but I haven't had some answers from them yet so I'm asking for further opinions here.
    My school is going through redundancy procedures, and my post has been selected. The necessary reduction of hours is about half a post, so once I've been officially dismissed there will be a vacancy of about 0.5 FTE.
    Yesterday my headteacher asked me if I wanted to accept the reduction of hours (and therefore avoid redundancy). The question seemed fair but the reason behind it seemed dodgy. They want to advertise the 0.5 FTE next week "to meet recruitment deadlines". However I haven't yet been formally dismissed (this won't happen until mid-May, and then there's an appeal procedure in June) I've been asked to confirm ASAP (at the latest start of next week) if I was interested in a reduction of hours, otherwise they will go ahead with advertising the post.
    This seems weird, my redundancy could still be overturned, so how can they advertise a post that doesn't yet exist, in a climate of redundancies? Also for obvious reasons a reduction of hours implies a lot of personal (financial!) changes that need to be looked into before I agree to it.
    Any opinion?
    Thanks

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Presumably if you take the new part time post you will lose any redundancy pay.... so you need to weigh up if this short term financial loss is worth the long term gain of employment under different terms.
    If the redundancy of your post is over turned, then the school may well have acquired someone in the 0.5 post as well as retaining you. There is no reason why they can't do this.