1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

part time inset days

Discussion in 'Independent' started by newmummy1, Mar 15, 2017.

1. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

1. Interested to know from part time colleagues in independent schools what you get paid if you come in for INSET on days you don't normally work. My school insist all staff attend insets, which I am happy to do, but they pay part time staff who come in for these days 1/260th of the full time salary. This assumes that the full time staff work 5 days a week 52 weeks a year! Has anyone else had any success arguing this? I have spoken to SLT who didn't seem to get my point at all. Other part time colleagues at my school didn't seem to have an issue with it either which is frustrating.

install likes this.
  2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Established commenter

My experience is that the part-time staff are expected to come in unpaid. I am not suggesting this is right!

install likes this.
  3. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

What type of school do you work in Viola?

install likes this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Established commenter

My post was based on knowledge I have of an independent school. Part-time staff are not paid for INSET if it's their day off; one or two don't come in because of this, others do. The expectation is certainly that staff will come in.

install likes this.
  5. onbekende

onbekende New commenter

A school I worked out had a pretty reasonable policy on this I thought. I worked a 60% contract and was therefore expected to come in 3 out of 5 INSET days in the year - I was told this explicitly by the Deputy Head that there was no problem at all about missing 2 of the days. It so happened by bad luck in one year that all the INSET days were on Mondays or Tuesdays, and I worked Wednesdays - Fridays but overall, it still seemed a pretty fair system to me. Certainly, I knew colleagues who refused to attend other than on 'their' days on principle, but I thought the 3 out of 5 was fair enough so was happy to go along with it.

install likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But you therefore worked an extra three days for no pay????

7. onbekende

onbekende New commenter

I can see where you're coming from, but I didn't really see it like that - I figured I worked 3/5 of the 180 teaching days and therefore 3/5 of the 5 INSET days too. It seemed fair to me at the time.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I honestly think there should be agreements between those affected to find something all are happy with.
    Rules should exist merely as a way to resolve disagreements as to what will suit.